Dendroboard banner

21 - 40 of 88 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,351 Posts
I just read through the linked thread and found the post about the tads being kept in an area that dropped into the 50s very interesting. I have a cold tank for highland orchids made out of a fridge with a thermostat that kicks on when the temp reaches 73 during the day and 55 at night. I wonder if tads raised in there have a more equal ratio, or is a 55 min temp be too low for tad survival?

·
Registered
797 Posts
Very interesting stuff! This semester is about to end here so I'm sure there will be quite a few mini-fridges for me to pilfer out of the dumpsters.

·
Premium Member
2,351 Posts
It's very easy to convert it. I have a glass front fridge to light the tank for the plants but any will do. PM me if you want more details. I don't want to highjack this thread.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Just wanted to stress how much I lge these. As I was misting just now, I noticed that I could see 5 of the 7 without having to look for them. I had read that they were shy, but I would compare their boldness to tincs. One of them even sleeps on a leaf right out in the open.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
One of the best calls in the frog hobby. I've raised quite a few of these guys and agree with the skewed sex ratio toward male--perhaps I can try an experiment w/ cooler tad rearing locations since I just observed another clutch being transported this morning :)
I'll be bringing a few offspring to Frogday if anyone is interested...
Scott

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Are there any physical or noticeable differences between sexes?I have a 1.0.2 group and as of now only the smallest of the 3 has been observed calling.
Lou
Not in my experience. There is the typical sexing "trait"--males tend to run more slender and females pear-shaped. Best indicator is males calling and tads in the water!
Scott

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Well, I just heard calling! I went back to check my records, and the first of them came out
2/04, making them closer to 3 mos, not 2. Still exciting...

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Yup, they have been calling nonstop but all gents...just brought home a big old girl from AFD, so im pumped.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I picked up a group of froglets at AFD...will have to see what they mature to be. Since I tend to struggle with temps being too COOL for my frogs and tads, this may be something worth experimenting with.

·
Banned
971 Posts
I really like these. I have read they do very well in groups, would make a great display. Maybe I will have to look for a proven group.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Looks like I might have some females. I have a group of 6 or 7 (started with 7, but haven't seen more than 6 at a time in while), with only 1 calling. Crossing my fingers.

21 - 40 of 88 Posts