Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
I would love to work with them again some day. I had a 5.0 group for a long time before I sold them. Just couldn't find a female :(

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I think the reason everyone dumped them is the horrible female to male ratio. Everyone I know who has them, only has males. They are a great frog. Too bad they arent easy to breed.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
I would love to work with them again some day. I had a 5.0 group for a long time before I sold them. Just couldn't find a female :(
My group is 6...had 7 but never any breeding. Great frogs though

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
I think the reason everyone dumped them is the horrible female to male ratio. Everyone I know who has them, only has males. They are a great frog. Too bad they arent easy to breed.
They are very easy to breed....just very difficult to get the right sex ratio

·
Registered
708 Posts
Yes, I have a 3.0 of these frogs. They are really a pleasant species, with such a nice call. I've been looking for a female for a while with no luck.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
I bought a group of 7 tads that came out about 2 months ago. These have quickly become some of my favorite frogs. I literally can sit and watch them for hours. At what age can I expect some calling?

·
Registered
873 Posts
Thats what I've heard as well.
Large clutches. Sometimes 1-3 clutches a week. Low egg and tadpole mortality.

If I remember correctly....I thought I had read somewhere that Rainer Schulte had suspected the skewed sexes may have something to do with tadpole water temperature during development.

They are very easy to breed....just very difficult to get the right sex ratio

·
Registered
708 Posts
Mine starting calling around 8 months or so. Now they call all day everyday.
It's a shame though, they don't have any ladies answering their calls :(

·
Registered
505 Posts
I don't even pull eggs or tads anymore unless someone requests them. I still get new froglets that grow up in the water bowl every month or so. These would be an awesome frog for classroooms unless they interrupted the lectures; but the whole process of parental care and tadpole metamorphosis can be viewed without any human effort besides feeding.

The juvies are pretty good size and don't need springtails either. Just an easy species to work with.

If anyone wants more to try and raise a female pm me. I can start collecting morph outs or raise up a clutch. Be nice to see these around more.

thanks
eRic

·
Registered
933 Posts
I don't even pull eggs or tads anymore unless someone requests them. I still get new froglets that grow up in the water bowl every month or so. These would be an awesome frog for classroooms unless they interrupted the lectures; but the whole process of parental care and tadpole metamorphosis can be viewed without any human effort besides feeding.

The juvies are pretty good size and don't need springtails either. Just an easy species to work with.

If anyone wants more to try and raise a female pm me. I can start collecting morph outs or raise up a clutch. Be nice to see these around more.

thanks
eRic
Can you post a photo of your setup and maybe give some breeding conditions details? Are females much larger than males, or any other clues other than calling to differentiate?
Anyone else have any ideas on why the sex ratios are so skewed?

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It is most likely due to temperature difference in tadpole rearing. Other species have been known to demonstrate similar characteristics.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts