Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has been stated on this forum that polycarbonate and polyethylene leech endocrine disruptors and therefore, lexan should never be used. The article quoted discussed the PET in water bottles being a major issue.
So my question is why is everyone ok with using aquamat and hygrolon both of which clearly state they are made from PET. Aquamat goes a step further and states it is made from recycled water bottles.
Both of these products are meant to be constantly wet (leeching conditions) and used on the floor and background of the vivarium where frogs will climb all over the saturated material.

Why is it ok to use bpa leeching material where frogs have direct contact with it, but not as a cover the frogs never touch? It is stated that bpa leeches from PET at room temperature into the liquid, so I know it isn't an issue of heat from lights.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I don't think anybody said its ok. People that choose to use it for tanks inhabited by frogs probably just don't care.

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
PET plastics don't necessarily contain bisphenol A. A recycled product is more likely to, a controlled process product may not.

Bisphenol A leaches out at dramatically increased rates in accordance with high temperatures and ultraviolet radiation. Room temp with no UV exposure from direct sunlight minimizes the amount of leaching that occurs.
You could ask folios whether their hygrolon contains BPA
Hopefully that info helps you make a decision

·
Registered
287 Posts
PET plastics don't necessarily contain bisphenol A. A recycled product is more likely to, a controlled process product may not.

Bisphenol A leaches out at dramatically increased rates in accordance with high temperatures and ultraviolet radiation. Room temp with no UV exposure from direct sunlight minimizes the amount of leaching that occurs.
Solid info! Thanks

·
Registered
31 Posts
Is there also a half life in the BPA leaching? Would it be safe to assume new products leach readily and older products have leached the majority they contain? Or is it a case that when the product breaks down, more leaches out gradually?

·
Banned
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually, several studies have shown that NO pet bottles contain bpa, and the same with polycarbonate bottles unless exposed to harsh detergents.

Furthermore, a german study found that mineral water stored in a glass jar contained endocrine inhibitors when tested following storage but not prior to adding to glass jar.

I have the report if you want to read it.

·
Banned
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
petitpaume,
Depends on which report you read. One says new, one says worse with age, one says worse with heat, one says room temp, one says worse if harsh chemicals used.....

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Unfortunately, I do not have an answer yet on whether the Hygrolon product or, more globally, the entire Dusk Tropic and EcoWeb lines of PET materials contain BPA. I will contact Dusk Tropic and see if this is a known characteristic of the material.

It has been stated on this forum that polycarbonate and polyethylene leech endocrine disruptors and therefore, lexan should never be used. The article quoted discussed the PET in water bottles being a major issue.
So my question is why is everyone ok with using aquamat and hygrolon both of which clearly state they are made from PET. Aquamat goes a step further and states it is made from recycled water bottles.
Both of these products are meant to be constantly wet (leeching conditions) and used on the floor and background of the vivarium where frogs will climb all over the saturated material.

Why is it ok to use bpa leeching material where frogs have direct contact with it, but not as a cover the frogs never touch? It is stated that bpa leeches from PET at room temperature into the liquid, so I know it isn't an issue of heat from lights.

·
Banned
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Folius, I respect that. And I wish you continued success in business. My original point was why is it that everyone bad mouths one product because they read a post on a forum but yet because of the cool newness of another product also a class 7 plastic, it is ok to use.
You could market petrified shit logs and if people thought they were getting something from the european viv community, you would make a killing. But if it was from here and someone on a forum said hey wait, that is just dried shit, everyone would parrot the op. "awk..dried shit....awk"

·
Registered
71 Posts
Folius, I respect that. And I wish you continued success in business. My original point was why is it that everyone bad mouths one product because they read a post on a forum but yet because of the cool newness of another product also a class 7 plastic, it is ok to use.
You could market petrified shit logs and if people thought they were getting something from the european viv community, you would make a killing. But if it was from here and someone on a forum said hey wait, that is just dried shit, everyone would parrot the op. "awk..dried shit....awk"
Well, as it turns out, dried shit is used quite frequently in the field of horticulture. We don't usually have to fertilize our vivs, but I'd be willing to bet that 99% of commercially available plants sold for vivs are grown with one form of excrement or another.

If someone sold sterilized manure patties for backgrounds that look good, made moss grow faster, were affordable, and never broke down, I wouldn't let the fact that they were made from poop dissuade me.

·
Banned
452 Posts
seems a general trend, tbh. But as they say, the grass is always greener

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have spoken to the manufacturer of the fabric sold as AquaMat, and they have assured me that there is no BPA in the polyester. BPA is (was) primarily used in polycarbonate manufacture, not polyester.

As a ceramic engineer and scientist, I also find it awfully hard to imagine that a glass container could contribute any "endocrine disrupters", as they are organic, and at the forming temperature of soda-lime glass, there are no organics present.

Ray Barkalow
Sent using Tapatalk

·
Banned
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ray,
pm me if you want the report. Glass is organic yes. However, the containers are not sealed prior to being filled and capped. There study shows chemicals may have less to do with it than biological substances.

·
Banned
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
And I have read 5 different studies. Four of them where conducted feeding rats bpa. Not water from bpa containing bottles, straight up bpa. 100% pure dose of bpa not an amount leeched into water. I would imagine these rats that are poisoned with bpa have more shit wrong with them than just estrogen.
Feed a rat large doses of aluminum and you will find soda cans are bad. Unless you open your eyes and use your mind and read more than forums and facebook. The top two sources of news accurate or not

·
Registered
181 Posts
Actually, glass is 100% INorganic, but I figure that was just a typo.

And I agree with you about considering the sources of info. I cannot tell you how often I hear folks claiming that an "organic" fertilizer is so much better for your orchids than one made from "chemicals".

Ray Barkalow
Sent using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
"Organic" vs "inorganic" fertilizers actually vary quite drastically in their bioavailability. Take miracle gro- very water soluble and rapidly available to plants, so it's drawn up immediately into the plant tissue, and can easily burn plants.
Botanicare, by comparison ( my preference) must be first broken down microbially to be completely available to roots. Thus providing a more controlled uptake into the plant, preventing burning.

·
Banned
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes, but I believe his point was there is no such thing as chemical fertilizer. Nitrogen-phosphorous-Potassium are not chemicals, they are naturally occuring. I learned many moons ago farmers rotate crops because corn uses nitrogen from the soil and soybeans put it back. And the 3 elements listed above are in organic fertilizer as well. Only problem is commercial fertilizer has like 75% of its weight available as plant nutrients where as compost supplies less than 1%.
And yes, it was a typo.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Just because a chemical is organic or naturally occurring does not change the fact that it is a chemical.

Many of the compounds allowed in "organic" fertilizers are the same chemicals used in synthetic fertilizers, but in order to be "organic" it must be mined from the ground instead of synthesized in a lab.

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
Just because a chemical is organic or naturally occurring does not change the fact that it is a chemical.

Many of the compounds allowed in "organic" fertilizers are the same chemicals used in synthetic fertilizers, but in order to be "organic" it must be mined from the ground instead of synthesized in a lab.
everything is chemical. What are you trying to say? The OMRI requirements for being orgainic are actually a lot more complicated than what youre saying.

Glass is inert. There are no leachable chemicals in glass. Whether the glass comes to you clean is another story. I would do an acetone wash of all glass ware if youre concerned about it. OR you could sterilize it in a pressure vessel, and at 121+C degrade whatever residue is on your glass prior to use

1 - 20 of 29 Posts