Dendroboard banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if hydrogen peroxide would work as a sterilizing agent...and be a little safer than bleach?
I've never been a fan of sterilizing everything, but I was wondering if this would be effective on wood, moss etc.
I've used diluted H2O2 in plants water before, (the extra oxygen to the roots boosts growth, in some cases) and seen no ill effects, so I was wondering if it could be mixed a little stonger, and used to clean things up.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
although i haven't used peroxide, i have used vinegar and dish soap to clean things successfully. I make sure my dish soap is thinned down before I squirt it on.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Rain_Frog said:
although i haven't used peroxide, i have used vinegar and dish soap to clean things successfully. I make sure my dish soap is thinned down before I squirt it on.
Thats a scary thought...its really hard to get all the residue off from dish soap. I don't even use dish soap if Im cleaning an empty tank. I used dish soap on an aquatic tank once and had soap residue for more than a handful of water changes.

I use isopropyl alcohol, diluted. It has a real low evaporation temp so its all gone by the time the water dries.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Here's a hydrogen dioxide based product that I use as an algicide, fungicide, bacteriacide in the greenhouse on very young plants. It breaks down almost instantly and does not harm the plants. This should break down into water and oxygen. The MSDS states that it is harmful to fish and birds so I wouldn't try using it in a tank with any inhabitants but it would most likely be safe during tank break down.
When I try it I'll post the results.
http://www.biconet.com/disease/zt.html

1 - 4 of 4 Posts