Dendroboard banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Dendrobates Leucomelas
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used hydraulic cement (Quikrete) in their builds? If so how did you use it and how much did it increase the weight? Is there a thread or personal information on how to apply this for a portion for background?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have, for fake rocks in turtle tanks and aquariums. It adheres to foam pretty easily, and the weight is nothing. Even with 3-5 coats, it's fairly thin (1-1.5 mm). Make sure to make your first coat, or two, extra runny so it penetrates the foam, then make the subsequent layers thicker. The last coat can be extra thick, and you can work texture into it. As a heads up, rinse the finished product really well, as cement is caustic, and will raise the pH. After you rinse it thoroughly, you can use it as is, or seal it with Drylock (or a similar product). The foam and Drylock method wasn't working for turtles (they have sharp claws), so I gave this a shot, and it has been holding up for over a year now.

·
Registered
Dendrobates Leucomelas
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have, for fake rocks in turtle tanks and aquariums. It adheres to foam pretty easily, and the weight is nothing. Even with 3-5 coats, it's fairly thin (1-1.5 mm). Make sure to make your first coat, or two, extra runny so it penetrates the foam, then make the subsequent layers thicker. The last coat can be extra thick, and you can work texture into it. As a heads up, rinse the finished product really well, as cement is caustic, and will raise the pH. After you rinse it thoroughly, you can use it as is, or seal it with Drylock (or a similar product). The foam and Drylock method wasn't working for turtles (they have sharp claws), so I gave this a shot, and it has been holding up for over a year now.
Thanks! This information is great!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have used it in fish tanks before. It is very easy to work with, when using foam and looks prtetty good. I have run into PH issues before as was previously mentioned. I found it did well if sealed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have run into PH issues before as was previously mentioned. I found it did well if sealed.
Yeah, if not sealing, I would probably just soak it for 24 hours, ditch the water, and soak again. Maybe do that a few times. Slightly high pH isn't too bad for turtles, they are very hardy, with amphibians I'd do the extra work to ensure they are good. Plus a lot of tropical plants prefer acidic soils, so you wouldn't want to screw that up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts