Dendroboard banner

Hydei vs Melgon FF

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Ed Martin 
G
#1 ·
I have a pair of 3 month old tincs that are very picky. They will eat the smaller melgonaster flies non-stop as long as i keep putting them in there, but they are much less enthusiastic about the hydei flies, usually letting half of them escape. they literally will only eat about half of what i feed them of the hydei flies. I try and mix it up, but i am wondering if i should even bother? the hydei cultures take so long to start and they dont really like them all that much. should i just not worry about it and give them what they want? i dust at every feeding, so they are getting all the nutrients they need, but is there a need for variety or is it just preference on the frogs part?

#2 ·
The hydei might still be considered by the frogs as too large for them to manage easily. With all of my frogs,the exception being the vents, all I feed them is the hydei. I prepare about 2 to 3 cultures every week and I always have tons of extra flies.

rjm

G
#3 ·
ya, see i only have 0.0.2 Tincs..... one culture lasts me almost 2 weeks and they are getting fat....

so you think i could just stick with the one type of FF for the next few months and then try the Hydei again when they are a little bigger?

#5 ·
I had tincs that would not touch hydei. I have a male cobolt right now that will not eat crickets that are above pinhead size, yet he is as long as my biggest terribilis, luckily the female in there with him eats just about anything I throw in there. Your frogs are young so they might just be put off by the size of the hydei, but they might not eat them when they grow up. The important thing is that they are eating something.
Ed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.