Dendroboard banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody!
I hope you can give me some suggestion as I see here some of you have experience with H. Valerioi. I’ve read all the related post I’ve found here on dendroboard and all the care sheet I could find on the web. But unfortunately I still have a question related to the reproductive behavior.

So, I’ve received my group of 1.2. and I’ve placed them in this terrarium with the following parameters.
Dimension: 50cm wide x 40cm deep x 80cm tall
Temperature: Max 26-27° C closed to the really top area, decreasing to 19-20° C at the bottom part, with some degrees drop during night time
Humidity: from 98-99% at night to a lower peak of 70% during day time (I’ve placed 2 fans for air circulation/renovation)
Misting times:
3 minutes at 0:00
1 minute at 9:00
30 seconds at 12:30
30 seconds at 16:00
30 seconds at 18:30
3 minutes at 21:00

I can see that females already have eggs, but I couldn’t hear the male calling yet.. So meanwhile I’ve prepared this rain chamber, with external filter for feeping the water clean and internal pump for moving it a bit.
These are its parameters:
Dimension: 35cm wide x 35cm deep x 60cm tall
Temperature: 22° C
Water temperature: 25-26° C
Humidity: from 98-99% to a low 90% during the day
Raining time:
2 hours from 0:00 to 2:00
3 minutes from 8:00 to 8:03
3 minutes from 12:00 to 12:03
3 minutes from 16:00 to 16:03
2 hours from 20:00 to 22:00

Is that ok to move them in the rain chamber? Will this be sufficient to trigger the “stallion mode” of the little guy?

Thank you all in advance!
Ciao! :)

·
Registered
282 Posts
I have a group breeding in their viv, no rain chamber, just mist a bit more when eggs are present.
I moved the eggs into Petri dishes, like I do with darts.
When they hatch I place them in a tank with few plants.
I spot clean the tank and do a 50 percent water change weekly.
Tads are doing well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a group breeding in their viv, no rain chamber, just mist a bit more when eggs are present.
I moved the eggs into Petri dishes, like I do with darts.
When they hatch I place them in a tank with few plants.
I spot clean the tank and do a 50 percent water change weekly.
Tads are doing well.
Thank your for your input!!! :)
You said you don't have rain chamber, but then you said you change your water weekly. So i guess you have an aquatic part in your terrarium, which is laking in mine and unfortunately it will be really hard for me to add it now.. That's why i've built the rain chamber.. now they are in the chamber since 2 days, but seems nothing happened.. will wait couple of days more and i will move them back in the "normal" terrarium.

Just another question, do you have a filtering system or changing the water weekly is enough for you?

Thanks again!! :)

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
If they just arrived, I'd give them a little time to acclimate before throwing them into the orgy room. Rain chambers are stressful for frogs ( speaking from the treefrog standpoint). Let them get used to their new home and see if just your misting schedule gets them in the mood.
I'm awaiting a group soon as well, so I'll be watching your adventures closely.
What frogsarefun was saying is that once they hatch he puts the in a different tank- and aquarium with plants. From reports I've read, the tads need moving water to thrive- an airstone is what I've heard of most people using.
Oh- and your vivs look pretty spot on for glass frogs. Nice work.
Good Luck and keep us posted!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If they just arrived, I'd give them a little time to acclimate before throwing them into the orgy room. Rain chambers are stressful for frogs ( speaking from the treefrog standpoint). Let them get used to their new home and see if just your misting schedule gets them in the mood.
I'm awaiting a group soon as well, so I'll be watching your adventures closely.
What frogsarefun was saying is that once they hatch he puts the in a different tank- and aquarium with plants. From reports I've read, the tads need moving water to thrive- an airstone is what I've heard of most people using.
Oh- and your vivs look pretty spot on for glass frogs. Nice work.
Good Luck and keep us posted!
Thank you for your suggestion, then i will move them back to the standard vivarium, i definitely don't want them to be too stressed!
Also thanks for the input on frogsarefun comment.

Will keep you posted on them :)
Here some pictures to start, these little frogs are just stunning!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I know this is an older post but you have all the correct information. They are beautiful frogs. You can't mistake the call of the males. I can hear them down a hallway into the office. They are in my bedroom. The sounds at night is like sleeping outside in the middle of summer without all the bugs.

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
I am still amazed by how flat they get when sleeping under their leaves. I have yet to hear a call, but I'm an early bed time guy. And the RETF over power police sirens at night. I'm glad yours are doing well. Mine make food disappear, and can often be found under the same group of leaves, in teams of 2 or 3.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts