Dendroboard banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you, in starting your first viv, stressed yourself out trying to get everything constructed and plants in wanting to get your frogs ASAP, but then once the plants were in decided to wait....a while?

In building mine i was stressing out, wanted to get all the hardscape in, ordered some plants and thought " hey ill get frogs in a month tops!" and then once its planted you end up being obsessed with getting the plants to grow in, seeding the tank, etc. I find myself almost not caring about the frogs anymore (dont get me wrong i definitely will still be getting them), but the stress is gone, and my interests have shifted towards the 'living ecosystem' aspect of vivariums.

Just thought id share and see if this mindset has developed in any of you.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
kinda happend to me. I was planning on building my viv, but I ended up buying one pre-built. but when I was planning on building the viv, all I thought about was the frogs. Now that I have the frogs, not all the attention is pointed towards the frogs, but also to the live ecosystem.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I love having little slices of the rainforest in my living room. I think you will enjoy it as much, if not more when there are frogs in there!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I love having little slices of the rainforest in my living room. I think you will enjoy it as much, if not more when there are frogs in there!
I couldnt agree more. When I was building my paludarium (yes I have water in the bottom) all I could think about was the frogs and making it right for them. But the more I read on here, the more I realize that it is about making the right conditions for the plants AND the frogs. Plants are good and fun ti have but the frogs make it so much more enjoyable.

BTW, I so love your tag line!!! Ha ha. Of course I would probably sell the Ferrari and laugh in my new frog room!!

·
Registered
638 Posts
Sometimes I just want to build a viv and not even put frogs in, and just have a viv just for plants

·
Registered
118 Posts
I find myself in quite the opposite situation. I will end up going to a reptile expo convinced that I wont get anything else and then bam I return home with a new living jewel and the need to create a vivarium asap.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
For me I think the key is waitning for the system to balance before the frogs go in. So if I were to plant a new viv, I would ideally look for new growth(plants) and a seeder boom before introducing frogs. Is this how it happens all the time? No. LOL.

JBear

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I find myself in quite the opposite situation. I will end up going to a reptile expo convinced that I wont get anything else and then bam I return home with a new living jewel and the need to create a vivarium asap.
Well, technically thats how my first viv went. I went to the Sacramento Expo a year and a half ago and walked out with 2 gargoyle geckos and decided to build a 'naturalistic terrarium' and then google searches eventually got me to blackjungle and this site. I made a few mistakes building that one and will be revising it shortly.

For my first PDF viv i read up on these forums for close to 8/9 months before i attempted it again. This one is turning out fantastic compared to the others

""For me I think the key is waitning for the system to balance before the frogs go in. So if I were to plant a new viv, I would ideally look for new growth(plants) and a seeder boom before introducing frogs. Is this how it happens all the time? No. LOL.""

This is exactly where i am now, its been almost a month since i planted the viv. 2 plants didnt survive shipping (ups around the holidays was a bad idea). But the rest have all normalized and there is noticeable growth/rooting. My springs are taking off after being seeded and im going to pick up some orange isos from 'Ken the Bug Guy' in Concord, CA. The viv still doesnt feel lush enough for me to feel comfortable to get my frogs, so i need to order a few more things, but im really really close now. Starting to get excited again after the initial drop in frog madness after planting haha.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
In vivs, plants and frogs, patience is a virtue. Nothing worth doing is easy and quick.

I am not suggesting enclosures must be expertly planted and balanced. Frogs can survive and grow in very simple enclosures. The aesthetics tend to trump function for many people. For me, function is paramount over lushly planted landscapes that do nothing more than limit floorspace and condense the usable space(in some species...). I don't use any BGs, and use primarily, and for the most part, exclusively, Pothos. I create rocky retreats in which the frogs routinely hide/sleep/thermoregulate/etc. These spaces between slab stones stay cooler than the surrounding enviroment during summer months and are very helpful for the frogs in that way. I use organic soil cut with dead leaves and moss. I utilize the "Egg-Crate FB Method", and make certain it is never soggy. Soggy soil is for the most part a kiler of plants, and can contribute to more fecal/fungal/bacteria(this is something I just believe-not a fact to my knowledge-) growth in the viv. Fungal growth is widely accepted as a sign of balance when you are looking at various types of mushrooms, but when it stays soggy and poop and pee are just sitting in the "soup", it is far less readily broken down, again, IMHO. I use flourescent lights held above the viv(s) by styrofoam spacers. I routinely check the temps on the floor of the viv, on the middle, and at the top/canopy. When using this style of lighting sometimes heat can build up, so be sure to use caution and temp check VERY regular.

These are some things I consider when setting up my vivs, I hope some find it useful in some way!

JBear

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
My viv has been done since before October then updated in October.
Financial situations are holding me back from getting a pair of thumbnails but even if I had the money I would be holding off for a while.

Maybe one day but it is gonna be a while

Reactions: InHoc1855

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Most of us here on DB have brought home frogs (impulse purchase) before having a tank ready for them. I'm no different.
Now that I'm older and wiser ;) I have 6 tanks in my collection set up and "growing in"... only the frogs remain to be added. All the silicone curing smell has dissipated, fungal bloom came and went, and plants that didn't make it through the initial planting have been replaced with something else.
Scott

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I can say this hobby will splits everyone into 2 cataglories builders and froggers. We all love both, but most may favor one more than the other ppl' some won't admit that. Its like having multiple kids you will love both, but favor 1 more, its just not said. I love the building proccess it never gets boring, there are always new things to do.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I can say this hobby will splits everyone into 2 cataglories builders and froggers. We all love both, but most may favor one more than the other ppl' some won't admit that. Its like having multiple kids you will love both, but favor 1 more, its just not said. I love the building proccess it never gets boring, there are always new things to do.
I think im a builder for sure. It all makes sense based on my previous hobbies. I dunno if any of you ever played Warhammer... anyway involves a lot of building miniature terrain/buildings etc. I also have done quite a bit of painting and sculpting over the years. Something about creating and controlling this miniaturized world for your frogs is very appealing. I guess i have a god complex....haha.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I am a builder as well and also have a bit of a god complex.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts