Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I'm still pretty new here, so I don't know where everyone is from.

My thoughts and prayers are going out to anyone who is going through hurricane Irene. Please evacuate if you have to, if you're riding it out, I will pray to God that you stay safe.

If there is anything I can do for anyone after this is all over, please feel free to PM me.

Steve

·
Registered
85 Posts
It's very strange how severe all the natural disasters have been lately. Everyone in its path ....get out or stay inside and be safe!:)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Did a rescue mission to pickup a friend's dog that was being boarded in a potential flood zone. Now dripping wet having just finished chaining down all the furniture on the deck. Hope everybody's safe.

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
A hurricane has never gone directly over New York City. The tidal surge is likely to flood 200,000 people in Staten Island alone. 8 million people without electricity here is possible (there are already 1.4 million without electric in North Carolina and Virginia).

No, I don't think it was "blown out of proportion".

Richard.

Blown WAY out of proportion by news outlets competing for audiences...

At least I hope, because CNN is acting like NYC will be underwater.

Reactions: spoggy

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did a rescue mission to pickup a friend's dog that was being boarded in a potential flood zone. Now dripping wet having just finished chaining down all the furniture on the deck. Hope everybody's safe.
Way to go Owl-Man. Stay safe. I hear they're calling for some big water in central NJ.

Steve

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Blown WAY out of proportion by news outlets competing for audiences...

At least I hope, because CNN is acting like NYC will be underwater.
My cousin is in Brooklyn with his wife and a two-week old daughter. He wasn't able to go anywhere because they don't own a car. I really hope you never have to go through one of these events that's "blown way out of proportion".

Steve

·
Registered
701 Posts
Godspeed to all on the east coast, I hope all is well.

Reactions: ConFuCiuZ

·
Registered
791 Posts
My cousin is in Brooklyn with his wife and a two-week old daughter. He wasn't able to go anywhere because they don't own a car. I really hope you never have to go through one of these events that's "blown way out of proportion".

Steve
I have been through them countless times and will go through them countless times more, it's a part of life and human nature...

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Thanks... it's raining like crazy here (I'm in Central Jersey at the moment) ... Irene is supposed to come full swing in a couple hours. Battery Park city in downtown Manhattan is supposed to get flooded overnight... I hope this means I have no work on Monday. lol How're things by your Richard?

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Thanks... it's raining like crazy here (I'm in Central Jersey at the moment) ... Irene is supposed to come full swing in a couple hours. Battery Park city in downtown Manhattan is supposed to get flooded overnight... I hope this means I have no work on Monday. lol How're things by your Richard?
My Dad works in battery park! I'm getting heavy rain here now... getting those last minute Xbox games and DB posts in before the power goes out. Yes, my family has all of the survival supplies and stuff. (so no one can get angry at me for playing xbox when a hurricane is about to come :p)

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Haha... I'm getting on PS3 in a little bit. Also stocked up on some goodies so I'll be fine over the weekend :)

I really hope the power doesn't go out, though

·
Registered
253 Posts
A hurricane has never gone directly over New York City. The tidal surge is likely to flood 200,000 people in Staten Island alone. 8 million people without electricity here is possible (there are already 1.4 million without electric in North Carolina and Virginia).

No, I don't think it was "blown out of proportion".

Richard.
They said they will turn off power before it hits bc if there is live wire when the saltwater gets in it will ruin the lines. Good thing the temps won't be too high for frogs untill a day or so. Hopefully by then the power will be on.

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
Hi Riko,

It's been raining hard here for a couple of hours with quite a bit of lightening and thunder, but no bad winds as of yet. The thought of the eye coming across Staten Island is something I don't want to contemplate (my house is pretty high on a hill, but faces due East, directly into the wind field) .

Richard.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Hi Riko,

It's been raining hard here for a couple of hours with quite a bit of lightening and thunder, but no bad winds as of yet. The thought of the eye coming across Staten Island is something I don't want to contemplate (my house is pretty high on a hill, but faces due East, directly into the wind field) .

Richard.
Yikes. Let's just keep our fingers crossed that it dies down... doesn't seem like it though. Anyway, I may or may not get back on DB... my spaceship is due to launch in a few minutes. lol

Cheers DB! This bud's for you!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Thoughts and Prayers with you guys. Stay safe and keep us updated if you guys are ok, especially you Richard. Hope your house escapes any damage.

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
We are on our second sump pump. Still one in reserve. A tornado touch down was reported less than 5 miles from here. Couple of good brown outs so all of the cage stuff and AC is shut off while we wait to see what is to come.

Ed

·
Registered
167 Posts
Good night be careful Ed!

As someone who lives in "Tornado Alley" we see many of them every year. Thankfully none has rolled over (on the ground that is) our house (although many have literally rolled over without touching down, thank heavens).

Just watch where that twister is heading and stay away from windows!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts