Dendroboard banner
21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
You've learned well :).

@DontCallMeAToad : how does the substrate cell under the leaves? Is it dry, damp, really damp, fairly wet, or soaking wet? This is one way to tell how much moisture is in the tank.

In a top opening tank, with no ventilation at the bottom I would expect to see condensation on the glass of the humidity was in the 70-90% range (my only top opening tanks (for froglets) have condensation on the glass most of the time and I only mist then once a day, if not every second day).
Hmm, of the given options I'd say under the leaves is "really damp." The top side of the leaf litter does dry out quickly, but it's never been dry underneath when I've checked. Also, I just took a temp & RH reading of the room the tank is in using the same Govee unit I have in the tank, and the readings are very close - maybe that's why I'm not seeing condensation?

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
OK, not gonna lie - very confused right now. People were saying that the tank looks very dry/that it dries out fast, that aquariums have no circulation, and to not trust the hydrometer. Now it seems people are saying that the things I thought people did to increase humidity/circulation are unnecessary. Help!
I'll try to clarify. If this doesn't help, I apologize in advance. Also, these are my opinions and recommendations only; other people may disagree, and have reasons for doing so.

Step 1: Ignore humidity entirely. Pretend it doesn't exist. Hide the hygrometer in a closet.

Then, 2: water the viv at least once daily, in the morning, using a pump style spray bottle. As a really rough ballpark estimate of how much water to add, start with 200ml per watering session in a viv that size (see point #7 for how to figure out if you need to adjust up or down on this amount in the future).

3: Keep an eye on how the leaf litter, plant leaf surfaces, and hardscape dry out. Most of those surfaces should not have much if any standing water on them after a few hours. If they don't get sort of dry on the top surfaces after a few hours, increase ventilation. If they dry more quickly, decrease ventilation.

4: Mist again only after surfaces are dry and have been for a while. Or maybe skip it. Your plants can go without another misting today, and tommorow and probably the next day; I've taken frogs out of vivs and left the vivs for a couple weeks without adding water and the plants were a little less perky, but fine. (LATE EDIT TO ADD: when frogs are in the viv, mist at least once per day. They need it more than plants do).

5: Pretend there are frogs in there. It rains, and they come out and play in it. Then, as the viv dries, and they get a little less comfortable, they look around for a more moist spot -- are there a bunch of secluded moist spots in the viv? Make sure there are -- under the leaf litter, at the base of hardscape, under coco huts if you use them, etc. When they need to, frogs sit on moist spots and drink (frogs drink through a patch of thin skin on their belly). They also retreat to hiding spots with less circulation and more wetness (note I'm dodging the 'H' word) if the overall moisture level in the viv is lower than they prefer (although they hide for lots of other reasons too; see point #6 for how to try to tell the difference). In any vaguely appropriate dart viv, there are many areas that a frog can fit in that are nice and moist, that don't dry out between watering sessions. The frogs know where every one of these are, and will tell you what they think about your watering schedule by how often and when they go into those areas.

6: When you get frogs, pay attention to how they respond to water additions, and to the drying afterward. If the frogs are active after watering only for an hour and hide the rest of the time, add a watering session, or two, or three each day -- but only after the surfaces dry (or the frogs tell you it is time).

7: Pay attention to how much water builds up in the drainage layer. If a little builds up and you have to drain it out once every couple of weeks, that's perfect. If none builds up, increase the volume of water per watering session. If you need to drain it more than every two weeks or so, decrease the volume of water per misting session.

Hope this helps. :)

21 - 22 of 22 Posts