Dendroboard banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a small indoor greenhouse that I am having trouble with the humidity. I can't get the humidity above 30% even with humidity trays on each shelf of the greenhouse – very dry here in AZ. So right now all my broms are housed in my Exo so I can't do my build for my frogs:-(

Anyway I purchased a humidifier that I want to plumb to the greenhouse to raise the humidity. The one I purchased can be seen here Deprecated Browser Error. I only purchased this one because I got a great deal on it and it has a large reservoir. It has something called an Ionic Silver Stick to inhibit microbial growth in the included filter that has some kind of resin in it. The resin doesn’t look like DI resin, it is much smaller and a cream color instead of the normal rust color I am used to seeing – it does state that it is a “Demineralization cartridge”. What got me scared is right smack on the front of the directions it says not to point it at plants! I'm guessing due to the Ionic Silver technology which is also coated on the filter housing? Have no idea. I will be running RO/DI TDS 0 water in it regardless - do I even need to run it with these filters or can I run it regardless of the directions stating not to point it at plants?

I thought about misting instead, but already bought a Mistking for the terrarium and it will be about 30 feet away from the greenhouse and didn’t really want to buy another since I got this humidifier for real cheap.

Also, the green house is lighted by 4 t5ho's (96 watts) over the top of it and 2 t5ho's (48 watts) horizontally about half way down the front side for more light on the lower shelves. Can't put the lights inside the green house as it raises the temps way too high. I keep my thermostat at 78f (any higher and my bills soar, they’re already too high with it at 78f) and the temps in the green house are between 79f-81f.

Also planning on putting fans in the greenhouse for circulation – maybe that alone would help raise the humitity?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
most greenhouses use swamp coolers (evaporative coolers) to both cool and add humidity. they are cheap and pretty efficient but can be quite bulky. smaller units need to be constantly refilled as well.

its really quite simple. water is passed over a mat which has a fan blowing across it. this creates evaporative cooling and also increases the humidity. units are basically the same regardless of size and even the ones on big greenhouses are run the same way just with a constant plumed water source.

james

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply James, but I am talking about a small indoor greenhouse about 4'x4'x2'. Swamp cooler is a bit overkill:eek:

·
Registered
52 Posts
What kind of humidifier do you have? I used to have a 20x30 orchid house at my old house. Maby i could help. If posible post a pic of the humidifier.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey aaron,

You nailed it with the first one and to answer Mikes question, yes I could put it inside, that's not what I'm worried about though.

More worried about the filter and silver thingy it came with. I think it will work without them though and since I will be using ro/di water there shouldn't be too much worry about mildew. Guess I'll just have to try it, out of town this weekend though so will have too wait until next week.

Swyped with Tapatalk from my Supersonic.

·
Registered
43 Posts
u might want to make sure the place is sealed almost completely cause plants do bust photosynthisis and resperation so they dont need ventilation.

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
Ionic silver is sometimes called collodial silver (at least with the new age alternative medicines..). The ions of silver have an active antibacterial action which helps prevent bacteria from growing the humidifier. This can be helpful as it reduces the risk of legionella or other nasty microbes.

The wikipedia entry on ionic silver Medical uses of silver - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia is actually fairly consistent with the literature. The reason they suggest not pointing it directly at the plants is because this can concentrate silver deposits on the plants in the direct path of the mist, and excess silver can be a problem for plants.

Ed

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Write, this forum is awesome. Been here a while mostly just trolling and learning. The abundance of knowledge here is much appreciated!

So Ed, I take then that it would be best not to use the silver thingy then.

As far as heat is concerned the humidifier will be outside the greenhouse and plumbed with flexible tubing.

·
Banned
4,938 Posts
Write, this forum is awesome. Been here a while mostly just trolling and learning. The abundance of knowledge here is much appreciated!

So Ed, I take then that it would be best not to use the silver thingy then.

As far as heat is concerned the humidifier will be outside the greenhouse and plumbed with flexible tubing.

No, the green house will get hot, due to just being out in the sun, and surprisingly so. So just keep an eye on it

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
No, the green house will get hot, due to just being out in the sun, and surprisingly so. So just keep an eye on it
Dude, it's 97f outside now and was 107f this afternoon. The greenhouse is indoors.

Weird - just noticed that the link in my first post says "depreciated browser error" but it still works, whats up with that?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts