Dendroboard banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have to battle humidity in their basement during the winter? With winter on it's way and the air getting drier I've noticed a drop in my tank's humidity level. Anyone else experience this? I have a finished basement and have to run a dehumidifier to eliminate the damp basement feel while having to mist my tank 2 X a day to keep the tank humidity up. The tank is essentially a closed system with the exception of feeding and misting. I asked my wife if we can just make the entire basement a viv but she didn't go for the idea.
Uggghhh the battle continues........
Mike

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
just plumb an ultrasonic humidifier to your tanks, and set it on a timer. I am doing this on a 55 I am working on, and have done it before, and it works great. Then, you don't have to worry about misting everyday. Makes it an even more closed system, and then all you have to do is feed it.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Is it warmer, or cooler in you're basement in the winter? In the midwest, most people have their furnace or whatever in the basement, so in the winter it ends up being much warmer. Maybee the room is warmer, so you don't get as much condensation in the tank, because the difference in temp from the inside of the tank to the outside is less.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK first off this isn't a problem so I don't need ways to correct it. I was merely trying to see if anyone else experienced this. I enjoy misting my frogs as I get a chance to check up on them other than feeding. And the temp in the basement is relatively stable (central air). I just think because the air overall is drier there is an effect on the tanks. My tank used to be 90-100% humidity, it's now 80-90%.
Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts