Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I just found a huge piece of driftwood that I would like to put in my viv. Its about five foot long and at the widest point two foot across, so boiling is out of the question. And ideas pls?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I wouldn't see too much of a problem with it but with foreign objects in vivariums it may not be such a good idea.

-Check for mold, fungus, and mildew, try pouring boiling pots of water on the wood to sanitize the surface. Also look for small pores or holes in the wood, I dont think you want termites in your home.

-Try cleaning a end up to make it flat and that way you can inspect the area that has been removed for any worms, mites, or termites that might harm your frogs or surroundings.

-Also you want to make sure your frogs are not going to get scared or startled by sudden changes in the tank, for this is not beneficial for their mental health.

try posting some pics too.
hope this helps you in your build. :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will post pics soon, going to today but got dark and I don't want to bring it inside yet. Its actually part of a tree that is usually submerged under water in a nearby river. The river has been down for quite a while because its fairly dry and sandy. I would be hard pressed to think that it actually has any live bugs in it unless they can live in a zero moisture log. It kinda has a wierd shape. Its not real thick just has a bunch of curves in it that make it a wide piece. I think the thickest "solid" part is maybe four inches? Maybe even less. So there isn't much space for bugs to find a moist part to live. Could I pour bleach on it and then let it dry in the sun for a few weeks?

·
Registered
317 Posts
actually termites are a staple of frogs so it be a nice food source.

as long as you can get it baked somehow, like an autoclave youll be ok. tons of people here use moss and wood they find and just boil and bake it and works out fine. you can do a search off the main page and find some threads of what other have done when they gather wood and moss from their backyards or near by woods.

if its that large an autoclave would be a good way to go about it

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Why not cut it in half or 3 pieces and bake each individual piece, then glue them back together with gorilla glue or something of that nature ...

in theory it should work and although it may be a pain in the ass, its better than paying to have some1 else cook it, and def better than bringing in disease and pests into the viv ...

trust me its not worth it, i made the mistake of putting a 2ft untreated/unsterilized driftwood into my tank and had all kinds of issues later on bc of it, from illness to bugs that were in the wood ... etc ... so IMO, i think it would be easiest to cut it up and reassemble ...

OR find a kiddie/doggie plastic pool and soak it in that with a bleach water mixture overnight, then let it dry out completely, then resoak it in dechlorinated water again overnight and dry it out (thats what i did 2nd time around w/ the same piece of wood, then baked it in the oven to be safe; and i have had no problems since)

good luck

·
Registered
317 Posts
ah no worries, an autoclave is a giant stove..and i mean giant.

this place we provide fire and medical service too builds FA18's. they can actually fit half of a fighter jet into this big oven.

theyve got 8 or 9 on the site and 3 really big ones. theyve got one thats 40 feet long and has a diameter of 21 feet across. so BIGGG! lol

i know the guys at this place will cook stuff for us if we ask..carbon fiber, wood, so on. so you can try looking in your area and see if theyre ok with it and buy them lunch, or a sixer of brew as a thank you.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah ok I get it. Not sure if we have one around here.
If I soak the thing in bleach and let it dry would water reactivate the bleach? And what if I let it dry for weeks in the sun? That should kill pretty much everything right?

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Nobody else is gonna say it? OK, Holy Crap! 5 foot x 2 foot!!? How big is the Viv you are dropping this little twig into? Now that's to house one pair of Imitators, right?
Doug

·
Registered
586 Posts
i would do a 5% or 8% solution in a pressure washer and then rinse it once more with just a hose. The sun would cause the chlorine to evaporate over the week and you're log should be free of pathogens (if you store it in a traffic free area). You might get spiders and such what find their way into crevasse so a nice shake out and inspection before you install it will suffice.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Nobody else is gonna say it? OK, Holy Crap! 5 foot x 2 foot!!? How big is the Viv you are dropping this little twig into? Now that's to house one pair of Imitators, right?
Doug
Its five foot long by two foot wide and four feet high. It then takes a turn and goes another five feet by two feet by four feet again. And It will hopefully house two pairs of Pum Solarte... Hopefully.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
i would do a 5% or 8% solution in a pressure washer and then rinse it once more with just a hose. The sun would cause the chlorine to evaporate over the week and you're log should be free of pathogens (if you store it in a traffic free area). You might get spiders and such what find their way into crevasse so a nice shake out and inspection before you install it will suffice.
Now I like this idea. A little more my speed :)

And just to put this out there... Its litterally freezing outside. Ice will cover this thing by morning. Will this kill anything?

And just for the heck of it while we have this conversation going... Does anyone know of a small fan I could attach via pipes and a housing box to my viv that would be relatively small but make the leaves of my plants sway just a little bit... and I mean a little bit.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
To address the possibility of chitrid, you will want to make sure it is thoroughly and completely dried, inside and out.
Doug

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Chitrid is a fungus. It has been spreading across the planet. It can kill every frog around in the areas it strikes. If it gets into a collection it tends to spread...tank by tank, wiping out every frog in the collection. Scary stuff. It's real and it's here in America. One thing that is thought to kill it is COMPLETELY drying it out. It is wiping out frogs across the planet and is not to be taken lightly. Hope that doesn't keep you up all night.
Doug

Reactions: Gamble

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Chitrid is a fungus. It has been spreading across the planet. It can kill every frog around in the areas it strikes. If it gets into a collection it tends to spread...tank by tank, wiping out every frog in the collection. Scary stuff. It's real and it's here in America. One thing that is thought to kill it is COMPLETELY drying it out. It is wiping out frogs across the planet and is not to be taken lightly. Hope that doesn't keep you up all night.
Doug
Wow. Ummm. Got it. Chitrid is way bad.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
If I am remembering right, you said it was partially submerged? This would mean wet on the inside...all the way to the core. Personally, I would not feel safe till it had dried out for at least a couple of weeks. I would set it up indoors where it is warm with a good fan pointed at it.
You don't tug on Superman's cape
You don't spit into the wind
You don't pull the mask off the old Lone Ranger
And you don't mess around with Chitrid!
Doug

1 - 20 of 32 Posts