Dendroboard banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first assumption about PDFs was that you shouldn't handle them, because I know they have very delicate absorbant skin. However looking through the gallery here I see lots of pictures with the frogs crawling on peoples hands and such. I was just wondering what would a guidline be for handling the frogs? I assume you shouldn't pick them up and play with them like lizards or anything, but just how tolerant of handling are they?

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
The only time that I have ever really handled any of my frogs is when they escape during cleanings. otherwise, I generally use a net to catch them, and I always make sure my hands are thoroughly rinsed before I do anything that might leave me with the possibility of having to touch them. So, for your question, I would recommend not handling them at all, unless you have to. They will absorb anything you have on your hands through their skin. I don't generally like to see pics of them on peoples hands, but sometimes it happens. I would much rather see them perched on a bromeliad in a picture myself :).

Ed

G

·
I don't know about anyone else, but I have a large bag of latex gloves under my tanks and anytime I am working in the tanks, I have them on. Three escape attempts have occurred and all is OK.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I don't handle my frogs at all. Instead I shoo them into clear plastic containers with my hand when I want to move them.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
tudorman1 said:
I don't know about anyone else, but I have a large bag of latex gloves under my tanks and anytime I am working in the tanks, I have them on. Three escape attempts have occurred and all is OK.
Are you sure that latex is better (for the frogs) than just clean hands?

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
I knew that was coming! I was just thinking...some people (maybee animals too) are latex sensitive...I also would assume you use unpowdered ones, but if not what is the powder lubricant, and is it good for frogs?
Don't get me wrong I'm not saying it isn't a good idea...just a what if.
Anyone know what gives latex it's smell?

·
Registered
185 Posts
I minimize handling as much as possible, but I use latex gloves liberally moistened with water when it is necessary. I hear powder free might be better better. I have yet to see any type of latex reaction.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts