Dendroboard banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Ranitomeyas
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello friends! I am from Brazil and believe us our hobby is tiny in the country with the greatest diversity of fauna and flora, I would like help with the cultivation of this species, how should I get it to pick up the hygrolon or logs? any tips?

·
Registered
651 Posts
Looks like a species of Microgramma. The ones I keep grow epiphytically. I start them out on sphagnum moss and keep them relatively moist, in higher humidity (60-80%). I've had no trouble growing them. This species looks different from what I keep, but likely would have similar care.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I thought Microgramma vacciniifolia. That's a species I keep (or at least, that I was sold...could be mis-ID'd I guess) and it looks exactly like mine.

keep them relatively moist, in higher humidity (60-80%).
Agreed 100%. It's pretty tolerant of a range of light levels, but does not like to dry out. If established it can take some drying OK, but it will absolutely not establish ("grab hold" with its rootlets, and start shoot growth) from cuttings if not kept moist. Once it's established, and if kept happy, I'd rate this as a medium-slow grower. It's definitely not slow-slow. Unless you keep it too dry, in which case it seems to just sit there and do nothing.

I would like help with the cultivation of this species, how should I get it to pick up the hygrolon or logs?
Do you mean propagate (make more), or just grow? I take cuttings of mine all the time, to set up new vivs or to get it to an area of a viv where it isn't growing yet. Just a length of stem with 3-4 leaves is enough. The key is to pin it (toothpicks or whatever) tightly to some moist moss and don't let it dry out.

So in summary - try more water. Ha ha. Ideally, keep it warm, humid, watered often, with decent light. Do that and it'll branch and run a bit. It's a cute little thing, one of my favorites for sure.

good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts