Dendroboard banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have two questions,the first one is how do i sex ventrimaculatus other than calls and at what age do vents call

·
Registered
527 Posts
how old is it? might not be for sure if it's less than 8 months or so.

here's a female amazonica in the foreground...

male, i don't have a great shot of one in a similar position, but much less booty than seen above. almost straight back from shoulders to hips.

-brett

·
Registered
840 Posts
The only accurate way to sex them is behavior. Males will call, females won't. A female in the mood will follow a male around. There are other less obvious clues but those take experience to recognize. The size thing works maybe 60% of the time.

Calling usually starts by 6 months or there abouts.

Best,

Chuck

i have two questions,the first one is how do i sex ventrimaculatus other than calls and at what age do vents call

·
Registered
27 Posts
Calling really is the only reliable way, and fortunately they call fairly loudly. My females aren't that much bigger than my male. You can also look for behavioral signals. Females tend to get along a bit better than the males, so if you see fighting, it's probably tow males.

As for breeding tips, mine love to breed in translucent film canisters attacked to the walls of the viv with suction cups.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts