Dendroboard banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I recently acquired a supposed 2.1 that are a year old, and there is a considerable size difference between the three, but the toe pads look pretty similar. Haven't witnessed any calling yet, but I've only had em' for two days so we'll see I guess.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Cool! :D But yeah. The males should have "T" shaped front toe pads, while the female's toe pads should be more rounded and not so "T" looking :D sorry for the awkward wording :p

·
Registered
306 Posts
Toe pads are a good indicator,but not concrete evidence .Size is also a factor , females are bigger, plumper, sometimes a defined arch or crook in their back is evident. The males tend to be smaller more stream lined.At around 12+ months old they start to show the separation in size . They may even show courting behavior,the male may display calling during the act, or may call in the absents of it.If the male is fed well he may be as plump as the female.Aggression is usually an indicator of a same sex being together in which case immediate action should be taken ,separation NEEDS to take place, or the loss of one or both will usually result!All this being said nothing is set in stone ,patients, and keen observance is the key!!!Remember Danielson, always look eye always look eye!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Just a side note on the aggression aspect --a few years ago I introduced a male BYH to a BYH female( the tank was hers already )she kicked his rear end for about 3-4 minutes then perhaps realized her "error" and THEN courted ten minutes after that !Stinkin beaaaach just like a women lettin everyone know who's in charge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.