Dendroboard banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.
Ok so I have had my darts for around 5 months and they were out of the water I think for either 3 months or 1 month. Either way, I have heard calling. And I think that I have a 2.1. Or it might just be wishful thinking :D
1. I have seen at LEAST one frog call, mabye 2 I just can't tell the difference.
2. And the calling male has been chasing a similar size frog around the tank. (I will get to the size in a little)
The other frog I am pretty sure is a female because it is much bigger than the other frogs and that it hasn't called. I think the small one that is being chased around is a male b/c when the female(?) is being followed, the male is slowly following, not racing around trying to catch the other frog. So I will try to get some pictures of the frogs so you guys can see if you can tell what sex they are. And any tips on how to breed them? I have pothos and some other broad leaf plants in there. There are mutiple levels that males can call from and there is a water area. And there is also a coco hut and 2 black film canisters in there. Any tips????????

-Alex
P.S.- Dont worry about the other frog getting chased around or anything like stress. The frog is very healthy looking and it does interact with the other frogs so he doesn't seem to look bad in anyway. I will keep an eye on him though.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Sounds like you most likely have a 2.1 group. I have a 2.2 group, and one of the males is definitely dominant. As my vivarium has become overgrown--both males now call constantly (the subordinate male feels more secure calling from the heavy growth).

I've found that my anthonyi prefer to lay eggs on larger leaves that overhang the water. The real key to induce breeding seems to be VERY high humidity. The more frequently you mist, and the higher the RH is, the more breeding behavior you will see.

It sounds like your setup is on track--keep your eye out for eggs. I wasn't expecting breeding yet when I found the first clutch....

·
Registered
903 Posts
females are much more pear shaped when they get bigger and the males are more streamlined.
I would probably know that if I ever saw my females.... I know they're in there--and see them in the undergrowth munching on flies--but never get a real good look--and know I have good eggs periodically.... My males, however, are out making noise whenever there is a light source visible.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah. The one that I think is a female is definitly pear shaped. The other 2 are slim. So I need to keep the humidty up. Hmm, not a big deal. Might have to put some pothos near the water section. I have pilea cadierei growing in the water area, would that work?
Thanks btw
-Alex

·
Registered
903 Posts
The Pilea should be okay for egg-laying. I have some Peperomia verschaffeltii near my "pond" that my anthonyi use for that purpose.

...and, always glad to help...

·
Registered
903 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts