Dendroboard banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I try to take some close-ups today to show the tadpoles have white spots in the facial area. To me these tadpoles are just gorgeous!

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
In this picture you can see the 7 day difference in size between tadpoles. The tadpole on the left has just been released from its clutch an the tadpole on the right is now 7 days old. Amazing how fast they grow!

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
Most of the time I get this on camera :

But I find they are easier to get on camera by turning off the lights and wait a few minutes :

The frogs on the pictures are now 6 months old.

I am planning to experiment with some "low luminance" LED strips one of the next weeks. I am thinking this will make this species of frogs less shy and more visible. They don't seem to be scared or alarmed so quick and act more bold when the lights are off. When giving less light in the tank (but still enough to make everyting vissible) I hope to solve this problem. Thumbs up!

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
The budget LED strips have been amazing! The frogs are getting realy bold and showing themselves all the time for the last 2 weeks! I guess lower lighting is the way to go for more shy species.

Also the new offspring all came on land perfectly, 22 juveniles in total this time.
This is their new grow-out box : https://youtu.be/kupDp1WJRpQ It is a simple, but effective setup. Using just leaves and one springtail culture in the plastic container.

Don't you just melt when you see how tiny and beautifull these baby frogs are. :)

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
This morning I heard more than one male calling in juvenille tank, they are now +-7-8 months old. I hope to find a clutch of eggs to confirm the age of when these frogs (females) are breeding ready.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #27

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Just caught out all the frogs! unfortunatly I found one completly dried up wedged between the glass and a plastic box of springtails. i don't know how he got there, I did not see him when i placed the box there but this still sucks.

So aside from this bad and probably preventable news, I have got a nice group of 4.9.0 available tomorow. I am gonna keep one female for myself, so its 4.8 at the frogday. One male was sitting on a small clutch, so they breed at 9 months old. Nice I was able to confirm this!

This is the end of this topic, I will post some pictures of the frogs tomorow after the event.

I hope you all enjoyed this and thid helps you guys breed these frogs.

Greets,
Tijl

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
This sundy I met Matthijs Kuypers for the second time at the reptileexpo in Houten (Holland). This time he took one of the Hahneli I was selling at my table for a shoot.

This is the result :

Absolutly stunning imo!

This is a male that is one of the frogs that was raised in this grow report. I still own 8 of them. For some reason European frog enthousisast just don't seem to appreciate these frogs. I hope this will change in time, A.Hahneli are such a nice species.

Matthijs is such a nice guy! Please give him a like for me if this photo shows up on one of his social media accounts. This is the least I can do for him.
You can find him on :

REPTILES4ALL
https://www.instagram.com/mgkuypers/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/reptiles4all

You can also help support him by buying his book "COLD INSTINCT", I already received my copy!
The quality of the book and photo's is just top notch! A++ By far the highest quality book I have in my collection.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/cold-instinct-stunning-reptiles-and-amphibians#/

Greets,
Tijl

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
One more thing I wanted to add to this topic is the size of the froglets.
In the photo bellow you can find 1-2 week old froglets and the difference between the species. This show why you won't be able to raise the froglets on Melanogaster or other flies. Feeding very small springtails, aphids and green bugs is the only way to raise them succesfully the first 3-4 months. Just a heads up for those interested in breeding,rasing,keeping,.. this species of frog.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts