Dendroboard banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To all the plant experts, what tips can we follow to prolong the life of bromeliads. They usually don't last too long for me even if they are in no contact with substrate at all. They seem to last about 5 months or so before they need to be taken out. What are some tips that you guys can share to make them last longer?

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
In my experience, if it's not caused by rot from contact with wet substrate, (and you said it wasn't), then it's an issue of not enough quality light in the 6700K range.

·
Registered
135 Posts
keep in mind light and humidity. I have a few that I leaved anchored (they anchored themselves) in flourite clay aggregate and they've been doing well for over 2 years and I have others that are mounted to lava rock. good luck with your broms.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Hi,

Root rot (moisture buildup) is the leading cause of the deaths of all epiphytes in terrariums. When mounting anything on your background, ensure that the stolon does not contact the background, or it will constantly be moist.

Good light, and plenty of air circulation if you can. Broms really take off when they are placed towards the top of my tanks, so a good source of light can go a long way for all broms in your tank. Make sure that one doesn't take away too much of the other's light. I recommend a vent in all tanks with broms, or you will get some nasty looking banana peels in your tank in a matter of weeks.

If you are planting your broms in any fashion, make sure the substrate is able to drain properly, and there is a good "dry" period for the roots between watering.

·
Registered
294 Posts
But if the frogs need water in the brom for tadpoles or soaking, do you still need to dry them out occasionally??

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
But if the frogs need water in the brom for tadpoles or soaking, do you still need to dry them out occasionally??
No, they don't. Just make sure they are mounted properly, away from rotting materials. Like mounted to cork bark, tree fern panel, or ghost wood. Mine mist three times a day and are doing great. I do have a vent though and am adding internal air circulation (not due to a problem with the broms though, just for improved overall health of the viv).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts