Dendroboard banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have zero ventilation on my new/first vivarium and mist 3 times per day. My viv is only a little above room temperature and there is still TONS of condensation on the glass. There is condensation on all but the top 1" of glass. So I am planning to add some vents, but don't want to dry out my frogs.

When I searched the forums, a lot of people said not to bother with hygrometers, but to simply look for condensation and moisture in the soil.

Can anyone elaborate on how much condensation is enough? Is just a little OK?

Can you offer a beginner any tips on how to gauge humidity just by looking?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,120 Posts
I am of the opinion that some ventilation is healthy for my frogs, and my tanks always have some flow of fresh air, usually coming from the top.
When my tanks look dry I give them a good spray. They don`t need to be dripping wet 24/7.
Condensation on the glass means there is a difference of temperature from the inside of the tank to the outside, but it is moisture anyway.

John

·
Premium Member
5,120 Posts
If you`re misting 3 times a day and your glass has moisture on it I`d say your humidity should be fine. Try not to let your substrate (whatever you`re using) stay constantly wet, wet enough for your plants at least.
I give my tanks a good spray once, maybe twice a day.

John

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hey, it is kinda hard to explain how much moisture is enough, I am sure if you mist once or twice a day you will be just fine. I have a 55 gallon viv I have not misted in at least a year. I forgot what the name of the product is but it is small clay balls that you put an inch of them in the bottom of the tank and it holds water under the substrate, this keeps the water away from the substrate but keeps the tank moist enough.
You can also tell if the tank is moist enough by looking at the substrate and if it looks moist then it is humid enough.

Good luck, Curtis

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I mist daily, sometimes skipping a day and sometimes misting twice. When I'm giving my frogs a break from breeding for a few months during winter, every other day.

If your substrate is drying out, it's too dry. If your substrate is drenched, it's too wet (or you have poor drainage). Halfway in between the two is a good target to aim for.

It also depends on the species.... terribilis can suffer from some health issues if the substrate is too wet, many auratus come from relatively drier areas than most frogs, etc....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts