Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got in an order of Angraecum calceolus and Asplenium species aff daucifolium from Andy's Orchids, and I need to make them viv safe. How should I go about doing this? They have been grown on non-organic fertilizer, and the orchid is mounted on cork.

Thanks for your help,

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Bleh... steam cleaning would kill a plant!

I agree with the 3 month growout tho.

What you do is a 5% bleach solution for 5-6 minutes, then rinse thorough with water and Dechlorinator for several minutes. when you think its rinsed thoroughly enough...... rinse some more..

Then place in your growout viv for several months to ensure any ferts , fungacides, and pesticides have worn off.. when you are ready to add toa viv... repeat that bleaching method.

Todd

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Bleh... steam cleaning would kill a plant!

I agree with the 3 month growout tho.

What you do is a 5% bleach solution for 5-6 minutes, then rinse thorough with water and Dechlorinator for several minutes. when you think its rinsed thoroughly enough...... rinse some more..

Then place in your growout viv for several months to ensure any ferts , fungacides, and pesticides have worn off.. when you are ready to add toa viv... repeat that bleaching method.

Todd
If you burned the plant itself, it might kill it. But you would have to test it out from various distances to get it right---use cheaper plants first, maybe.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Obviously some plants might not hold up well to it, but then bleach can hurt the plant itself, too.

I did the steam/heat treatment with broms. It was a risk, but I put it in a plastic bag outside for a few minutes. The internal temps were well over 150 degrees when I brought them inside, and they did suffer burns, but I did not want to do bleach b/c I didn't think I could get it rinsed out all the way since it gets down deep in the cracks of the plant.

As far as the other type of steam cleaning, you would need a steamer and it's sort of a gamble. Someone else had mentioned it awhile back, but I don't know of any regulations for it. I don't think the steam would necessarily kill the plant, but it might. It would depend on whether or not you got the plant hot enough for it to wilt.

They were Mo' Peppa neoregelias and they are still alive and pupping.

Like I said---try it on cheaper plants, not your good ones.

Dartfrogfreak---what's the best way to clean begonias?

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
I actually thought that was a sarcastic joke...lol...Guess not.

I have never done more then rinse my plants. In the future, I will only go as far as to hit them with some CO2 after rinsing.
No, I read about it on another thread in another forum by someone reputable, but there weren't any regulations on how to do it right without hurting the plant.
They commonly do this with soil.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Alot of plants will die in greenhouses if the temps get just over 100 degrees/
Whos this so called reputable person that said you can steam clean plants?
Heres the thing. Ive bleached so many broms its crazy. I have lost maybe 3 out of probably 100+ and Im sure that wasnt even the bleach... it was because the plants were in crappy shape. Bleach is fine and if done right it doesnt hurt the plants. Your steam cleaning is just an all around bad idea.. DONT do it!.. If it burns the plants here and there... why would you want to do it? BEgonias would definitely die from this no ifs and s or buts. Seriously I bet if you used steam cleaning on Begonias you could watch them die.

Again... BLEACH!

5% bleach soak the plants for about 5 minutes. Then rinse thoroughly with Dechlorinator from the fish store. When you think youve rinsed it enough.... rinse some more. Then rinse some more. Actually I rinse with tap water first then when I think its rinsed enough I rinse with dechlorinator, then I rinse again with tap water.. then I dry the stuff most the way with paper towels.

Todd

·
Registered
56 Posts
5% bleach soak the plants for about 5 minutes. Then rinse thoroughly with Dechlorinator from the fish store. When you think youve rinsed it enough.... rinse some more. Then rinse some more. Actually I rinse with tap water first then when I think its rinsed enough I rinse with dechlorinator, then I rinse again with tap water.. then I dry the stuff most the way with paper towels.

Todd
Can i ask what the dechlorinator step is for? If you rinse the plants with RO water is this necessary?

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Alot of plants will die in greenhouses if the temps get just over 100 degrees/
Whos this so called reputable person that said you can steam clean plants?
Heres the thing. Ive bleached so many broms its crazy. I have lost maybe 3 out of probably 100+ and Im sure that wasnt even the bleach... it was because the plants were in crappy shape. Bleach is fine and if done right it doesnt hurt the plants. Your steam cleaning is just an all around bad idea.. DONT do it!.. If it burns the plants here and there... why would you want to do it? BEgonias would definitely die from this no ifs and s or buts. Seriously I bet if you used steam cleaning on Begonias you could watch them die.

Again... BLEACH!

Todd
I don't remember who it was that said it, it was awhile back. I would never try this harsh outdoor treatment with begonias as I did with the broms!
I know a quick burst of external steam wouldn't hurt it, but it also might not really kill anything.
I am just afraid to use bleach on one plant of mine as it's worth quite a lot.
Do your begonias come out fine with it then?

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
Ive always been a fan of 5%bleach for 10 minutes, rinse, repeat. Never steam treat your plants. Steam is BOILING water, that means 212 degrees F. Your plants will die faster than Steve Irwin in a tank full of stingrays.
If you are really concerned about the sterility of your plants, its important to repeat the bleach soak several times. Many bacteria produce endospores that when dormant can withstand just about anything. Bleach included. Endospores are formed under periods of duress to the bacteria, ie changes in humidity, temperature etc. Once in an environment of constant, stable conditions, the endospores germinate and begion to replicate as normal bacteria. So spread your bleach rinses out about a week. The first quality rinse will kill almost anything, the follow up is for the really stubborn stuff.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Steam is really hot, yes, and using it is a risk, but it does not instantly kill or burn the plant if it is a quick controlled burst (unless it has very thin and fine leaves).
Heating a fragile plant for an extended period of time-- to boiling temperature--- in a cloud of steam--yes, I'd agree that's a very bad idea. I brought it up knowing it would be talked about.
I mentioned it b/c of lack of something more natural to use on the more delicate plants.

It would seem with the bleach rinse then, that it would be better to wait to treat them until your plants are well situated for a period of time in a QT tank after moving them from one location to another, as that stress would induce the production of these endospores. I.e., after you get plants in shipping, give them the normal soap and water washing to remove external toxins/pesticides, then put them in QT for a couple weeks, then try the first bleach treatment.
Then replace in quarantine for the remaining 2 1/2 months to allow any remaining systemic pesticides to break down, then use more soap/water on the leaves to remove the breakdown toxins from the pesticides (if they were used), then do another bleach treatment.
Are there any plants that would not tolerate this type of regimen?

·
Registered
6,827 Posts
Alright, I'm gonna have to get a bit cocky to make a point here....

This is the greenhouse I ran...

As a very serious collector in Florida, I knew lots of plant people and bc of that, very regularly received plants from private collections, botanical gardens and straight from natural habitats (SE Asia, South America etc.). This means I had to treat EVERYTHING before potting and I had no QT area. After much trial and error, I ended up with this regime...

First soak in fresh water to rehydrate plants that had been traveling for a few days. You can decide how long based on how bad the plant is.

Next, soak plant in soapy water. I did 1 tbl spoon lemon fresh Joy to 1 gal water. Maybe 10-15 mins.

Next was a quick dip in 5% bleach/water solution (plain old non scented Chlorox). Maybe just 5 mins.

Then lots of fresh water to rinse away soap and bleach. Then plenty of fresh air. You could make up some dechlorinator and water to soak them in too like Todd suggested.

This sounds like a lot but once you do it a few times, it becomes second nature. Pretty quick and worth the time.

Some others even suggest misting cuttings with vinegar then hydrogen peroxide. You could even try misting with Isopropyl Alcohol. I know people use Isopropyl to kill aphids and other bugs directly on the plant. Just don't over do it.

I don't mean to be offensive, but do NOT steam a plant unless you plan to kill it. Plain and simple. That is awful advice.

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
Steam is really hot, yes, and using it is a risk, but it does not instantly kill or burn the plant if it is a quick controlled burst (unless it has very thin and fine leaves).
Heating a fragile plant for an extended period of time-- to boiling temperature--- in a cloud of steam--yes, I'd agree that's a very bad idea. I brought it up knowing it would be talked about.
I mentioned it b/c of lack of something more natural to use on the more delicate plants.

It would seem with the bleach rinse then, that it would be better to wait to treat them until your plants are well situated for a period of time in a QT tank after moving them from one location to another, as that stress would induce the production of these endospores. I.e., after you get plants in shipping, give them the normal soap and water washing to remove external toxins/pesticides, then put them in QT for a couple weeks, then try the first bleach treatment.
Then replace in quarantine for the remaining 2 1/2 months to allow any remaining systemic pesticides to break down, then use more soap/water on the leaves to remove the breakdown toxins from the pesticides (if they were used), then do another bleach treatment.
Are there any plants that would not tolerate this type of regimen?
quick burss of steam will accomplish absolutely nothing. NOTHING. extended QT is UNNECESSARY, plants arent going to sweat out pesticides and ferts, as if they are externally applied, they can be easily removed, and if they are systemic, they won't leave the plant until metabolized or broken down WITHIN the plant. This poses very little if any risk to your frogs. Ive never done a QT on a plant EVER. Just bleach rinse

·
Registered
781 Posts
I have been using Antone's method above for several years now and it works great. I use this whenever I get plants in or when I move plants between vivs.

He's right, it takes no time to do once you get a system going. I use a series of 5 gal buckets like an assembly line...

·
Registered
19,329 Posts
If you aren't heating the plant hot enough to kill the plant then you aren't heating it enough to get anything that maybe hidden on the plant... so steam in this case is not a viable option unless you just want to feel like you are doing something..

Ed

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Thanks guys, I see the difficulty/impossibility in incorporating this as an effective cleaning regimen now. I had never settled it in my mind (and had tried something similar once on broms, with heat outside/water in a plastic bag, to kill chytrid.)

I just have one more question though---what about the air roots of orchids? Would they be more susceptible to the bleach treatment than other plant roots?

Also, has anyone had success treating begonias with bleach without killing them?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts