Dendroboard banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, I'm planning on turning this tank into a paludarium based on western european wetland ecosystems. This is my first time making a paludarium this big and with a lot of soil. So i was wondering if all i need to do to keep the soil from getting waterlogged is adding a really thick drainage layer or should i try to keep water and soil separate using pond foil? I'm not to keen on the latter because i think it would offer a more natural setting with the water and soil touching.
Picture frame White Rectangle Gas Shelving

·
Registered
221 Posts
Curious how you plan on setting up the paludarium? Size of tank / how you plan to orient the land and water areas? A quick sketch might help. I have created a couple over the years and the way I like to do it is with a false bottom.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Doesn't working with a false bodem mean i wouldn't be able to add a thick soil layer? I'd like the tank to have a somewhat complex foodweb. It's 100x50x50cm (39.3x19.6x19.6).
I hope the sketch is somewhat helpful.
Handwriting Rectangle Font Parallel Engineering

·
Registered
221 Posts
I see no reason you cannot use a false bottom. it would serve the same as having a drainage layer and would increase water volume.

If you don't want to go this route you could always try to use substrate for planted aquariums as your substrate or something like turface that won't wick up as much water as other substrates. However you may still find this to be too wet

1 - 6 of 6 Posts