Dendroboard banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Unless your room is very cold (60-65 degrees) you shouldnt need to heat it. Usually the lights heat the vivarium 5-10 degrees above room temperature (depending on the distance from lights to vivarium).

Using a ceramic heater on or near a enclosed glass vivarium sounds very uncontrollable and dangerous unless used with a thermostat inside the viv. Much easier to just heat the room up a bit with a plug in heater.

·
Registered
975 Posts
The ceramic bulbs get way to hot for use with dart frogs imo. I live in Minnesota and my frog basement this last winter regularly stayed around 68 and everybody did just fine. If i were going to use anything to heat an individual viv it would be one of the smallest heatmats made but even then i would be useing a proportional thermostat. As stated above a small plug in heater for the room is the best solution

·
Banned
503 Posts
They get too hot! I once had a 75w heat emitter on my first herp tank, it cracked and overheated the viv. I was wondering about my new 20l vert viv, I managed to get 3 13-20w bulbs on top, and the glass has yet to crack.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Uroplatus don't like it too hot either. I would still say the ceramic heater is too hot for both the gecko and the glass

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
There should be no need to heat Uroplatus, they do best in the 60s or low 70s. What size tank are you using? None of the common vert kits will be big enough for U. lineatus.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts