Dendroboard banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so I saw that folks using clay background are wrapping the stolon in sphag moss and then pushing it into the clay. Is this a special type f sphag used for this application or are you using regular stuff? Also how are you using it my sphag is small cylinder shapped and it would be a real pain to try to wrap anything. Secondary question for Ed. I saw in one post that you were putting some broms straight in the ground using an air gap. did you put the stolon in the false bottom is it supported with packed in substrate?

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
I don't wrap my broms. If you are putting them in clay, I strongly suggest you don't use sphag. I find that my broms that are pushed all the way up to the clay stay too wet and rot. I try to use ones with good long stolons to stick into the clay without pushing the base of the brom into the clay. I also cut off all the roots. New roots come out and find the clay and dig into it to stabilize the brom.

·
Registered
430 Posts
too much sphag will make it rot... if you have misting system, you don't need anything special really

1 - 4 of 4 Posts