Dendroboard banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im wanting to breed either my D. Auratus or D. Leuc, what would the best way to get them to start laying eggs?

·
Registered
103 Posts
My leucs seem to be sesonal. If I cycle them nothing happens. In the spring/summer they breed as long as I provide a laying location. I have never kept auratus.

Have you tried cutting back on your misting a little on your feeding then ramping it up?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe I should try with the Auratus then. I don't believe they are seasonal layers but i'm not 100% sure really.

I haven't purposely but they haven't been fed as much for the last 2-3 weeks as I've been running out of fruit flies as everywhere out of stock.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Im wanting to breed either my D. Auratus or D. Leuc, what would the best way to get them to start laying eggs?
My leucs are seasonal as well. Make sure your viv is fairly dry for a couple months (not a swamp) then mist twice a day for a few weeks. Also mine are "shy" they do best when put next to another viv with a species that call frequently. Can you post a pic of your viv?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I would definitely put them through a "dry" season. Spray lightly for a few weeks, feed them still. Then I would put them through a "wet" season by spraying heavily a couple of times a day. You can even try increasing the humidity for your "wet" season which may help as well, along with a slight increase in food. Playing a recording of a D. leuc or D. auratus near the vivarium to see if they'll call back is a great idea as well. Lighting also seems to have a roll. Where daylight lasts longer in the spring/summer, you could always try cycling them that way throughout the year as well, having your light turn on/off with sunrise and sunset.
In my experience, auratus have a very soft call, like a low vibration, I've definitely missed them call before (they're kind of like A. galactonotus in that respect). Whereas leucs are very loud trills that you can't miss. They're really a beautiful call in my opinion! Leucs definitely seem to be a bit more seasonal than the auratus. I hope you can figure it out!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think my female has just laid some eggs. It’s like a blob of jelly, but they don’t look fertilised. Am I right in believing males fertilise after they’ve been laid? How long should it take them to do that?

·
Registered
multiple 18x18x24 vivs
87 Posts
My Fine Spots are Seasonal as well. I do not do anything special to encourage them to breed. I do not create a dry season either. I just feed them every other day...sometimes every two days and let them do their thing. They seem to not lay for 2-3 months, generally in the fall/winter months. Its never the same time frame. I purchased them as 1.1. One day I played "fine spot leucs calling" on YouTube and within seconds the male started calling. I was blown away. Within a month I saw my first clutch of eggs in the petri idish in the coco hut.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I think my female has just laid some eggs. It’s like a blob of jelly, but they don’t look fertilised. Am I right in believing males fertilise after they’ve been laid? How long should it take them to do that?
I don't think you can tell right after they were laid if they were successfully fertilized or not. I think it depends on if they mold over & don't develop which could also be due to vitamin deficiencies and other things too. I noticed that the first few clutches my Santa Isabel's & Green and Bronze Auratus laid were empty jellies. The # of non empty jellies increased the second clutch and by the 3rd I may get 1 empty one. For me what you described is exactly what I experienced. It's been 6 days now and I bet in 1 more week you will find a few more hopefully with solid insides (Not sure the official name). Just keep doing what you are doing and supplement well if you aren't already. I clean my pirtri dish if it gets dirty and give it a misting.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts