Dendroboard banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to drill some small holes in some Steralite containers I have. I only want the holes small enough to fit some small zip ties through, but I'm not sure what would go through the plastic and what I should use to drill them.

I'd also like to drill some bigger holes in the bottom of the container to ziptie the piping in place in the tank. Any suggestions on what to use for that type of drilling?

Thanks,

Nick

·
Registered
57 Posts
When ever i drill through something plastic i start with the smallest bit in the set at a low medium speed. Then i switch to the next size up and so on. I found that sometimes when i go for the largest bit right away it cracks the plastic.

·
Banned
685 Posts
Any drill bit will work. However, a brad point drill bit will work the best off the shelf.
If you use a twist bit, stone the cutting edge of the tip on both flutes. You are more or less turning it into a rotating scraper. It won't catch and pull this way. You can also cut the head off a nail with wire cutters, and chuck it up in a drill with the point facing out, and use it like a drill bit. It will melt it's way right thru the plastic. The nail is a trick to predrill hardwoods before nailing. The stoned twist bit works great in acrylic as well.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
A lighter and a nail held in a pair of Visegrip pliers so you don't burn yourself. Melt them in.

·
Registered
553 Posts

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
If you have a soldering iron, melt the holes in. And for the bigger holes, draw the hole on the plastic and trace it with the hot iron to burn it out
I do the same. However a spade bit will work good too.

..but if you drill holes in the bottom, you may find that you didnt want to do that since water will spill out the bottom holes. I just zip tie the pipe cuttings to the egg crate and it wont move around.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts