Dendroboard banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you all do it? I have a 15 wide x 15 deep x 30 tall aquarium, and I am using about 3 inches of pea gravel below my substrate divided by gravel and today I noticed the water level is almost above the top of the substrate!!

How can I regulate this so that I can drain it?

Small pond and syphon the water out? Drill the side/bottom of the tank?

What do you all do?

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
About the only thing you can do without completely dismantling your entire tank is to tear up a corner all the way to the bottom of the tank and siphon it out. Other than that, drilling the bottom prepares you for the future, but you cant really do it feasibly without tearing everything out and starting fresh. What i recommend is to tear up a corner, siphon out all the water and put a piece of PVC in the corner with holes in the bottom to let water in. Disguise it how you wish and cap it with something to avoid frogs exploring the depths of it and you'll be ready for when siphoning time comes around again.

-Matt

·
Registered
427 Posts
i have a capped off hose coming from my pump but havent used it yet.all i have to do is pull the plug off and drain into a bucket.i would just siphon it out but drilling a hole would make it easyer.you could silicone a line in the spot you would like it to drain at and then put it in a bucket so it drains by it self.or you could cut a hole in a 2liter cap and let it go in there so it wont spill

i dont know up to you.you could do either.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
If there is a small water area in your tank you can tilt the tank and use one of those aquarium siphons to get the majority of the water. Make sure to give yourself ample time before the water comes up though, otherwise you'll end up with a mouthful of scummy water.

If you don't want to risk contaminating your mouth you could always use a turkey baster, a lot more time consuming, but not as rickay :)

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am going to do the PVC Idea, I think. Cover it with a peice of sponge, or filter media and then cover that with the leaf litter. I wish I would have thought of this at the begining, I am deffinitely going to make drains in my 10 gallon verts, when I build the front peice I'll just use plexi and easily mount a bulkhead to a drain.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Like someone said. you could get one of those cheap air pumps(used in old school fish tanks for bubbles) for like 7 bucks and "pump" all the water out. One of those RENA air pumps. The kinds that have both an inlet and outlet for tubing.

I used that when I flooded my first viv. Works pretty well.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
True, I wonder if I could put that on a timer, a certain time every day to drain it into a 2 litter or something along those lines..

·
Registered
123 Posts
Like someone said. you could get one of those cheap air pumps(used in old school fish tanks for bubbles) for like 7 bucks and "pump" all the water out. One of those RENA air pumps. The kinds that have both an inlet and outlet for tubing.

I used that when I flooded my first viv. Works pretty well.
I second this highly for two reasons:

1. The Pipe you need to put in is much smaller and therefore easier to hide.

2. Easy to do. Put the sucking end in the tank, plug in, walk away and work on those other tanks. Come back 5 minutes later and its done.

I would also suggest getting a glass drill bit (or have a piece drilled by local glass shop) instead of using the plexiglass. Glass looks nicer for longer and you will not regret the choice.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
ok so the best way to drain a tank.....

i will post pics later today but heres the way to do it..
first you will need black 1/4" tubing and 2, 90 degree bends (sold for drip watering systems at local hardware) for each tank. and zip ties, cable clamps, and most important a small brass 1/4" valve (for each tank).

you simply drill a hole in the tank hood (to fit the tubing through snugly) then you cut the tubing to sit almost at the bottom of your drainage layer and about 1/4 above the tank hood. attach your first 90 degree then add 1.5 inches or so of tubing, then another 90. you add more tubing now running down the back of the tank and below. this is important. attach the valve BELOW the tank and add another small length of tubing. open the valve and suck on the tube with your mouth or a suction gun. when you feel a steady stream of water then close the valve. you now have a permanent siphon that will drain your tank with out the use of any pumps. mine work fabulously.

want to get really fancy? look at micro-switches with a float to measure water height and solenoids to drain. the perfect match to automated misting... automated drainage.

also this is very important. do not use an air pump to pump water!!!!! this is very very dangerous and creates the risk of both electric shock and presents fire hazards. if you have ever pulled one apart you will know what im talking about. the diaphragms are not meant to be pushing water. again i would STRONGLY suggest NOT using an aquarium air pump to pump water.

james

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
here are some pics......

james

now that i see that first picture i can see it's pretty dusty up there. :) oops! its like 6'9" up (in my defense)

hope this helps. its cheap. it has no moving parts and it's very hard to notice.

estimate: $5 for 30' or so of tubing, $1 per 3 pack of 90 degree bends, and $6 each valve, the clamps and wire ties are about $5 and a drill bit is $3. so if you have to get everything (including a drill bit) for 3 tanks it costs less than $35.

Attachments

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
james67

How does this method work? syphon a bit out manualy and then turn the valve so the water is suspended in the line, and then when it's time to drain turn the valve to release the downward pressure pulling the water from the tank up and over the side down into a bucket?

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
if you seal a line that a siphon has been started on the siphoning action will continue every time the valve is opened. as long as you dont drain it below the end of the tube in the tank (in which case the siphon will need to be created again).

its super simple and easy.

"How does this method work? syphon a bit out manualy and then turn the valve so the water is suspended in the line, and then when it's time to drain turn the valve to release the downward pressure pulling the water from the tank up and over the side down into a bucket?"

pretty much!

james

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Alright, cool. I may do something like that, or just make a false bottom and make a drip bar, though I'm not sure yet...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts