Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello -

I am just wondering about how to get rid of the old, smelly, dying FF cultures? I would hate to throw them in my garbage then two days later have a million FF all in my trash.

Andrew

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Freezer for a few hours then into the trash or for re-use. If you don't have time microwaving for a minute or two works but it smells bad and is probably much more "mean" to the flies haha

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the help. I thought of freezing them but then wasnt sure as I had a recollection that it doesnt actually kill them but only stuns them and places them in a state of temporary inactivity. Although perhaps thats all I need to get rid of them and then if I place them in a bag they would probably die out fairly fast.

Thanks again for the help folks.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Thanks for all the help. I thought of freezing them but then wasnt sure as I had a recollection that it doesnt actually kill them but only stuns them and places them in a state of temporary inactivity.
A short period in the freezer is sometimes used to slow the flies down and reduce escapes, but if the culture is allowed to freeze solid they will not survive.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I dont know how some of you guys only use containers once...Im either to cheap, or to "green" to do that. The freezer method works like a charm. After the frozen hunk gets trashed they get filled with hot water, then scrubbed, then put into a washer cycle, and come out looking brand new.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I dont know how some of you guys only use containers once...Im either to cheap, or to "green" to do that. The freezer method works like a charm. After the frozen hunk gets trashed they get filled with hot water, then scrubbed, then put into a washer cycle, and come out looking brand new.
Do the plastic deli cups actually make it through the washer cycle without warping?

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Do the plastic deli cups actually make it through the washer cycle without warping?
For sure. I put mine on the top shelf to keep them them away from the heat element. The tops also make it throught the wash no problem. I have been using the same ones for the past year and only now are the tops showing their age.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I use Recycled Jars from Petco..I get them when they are thrown out.

Any recycled Jar can be adapted easily

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow, Thanks GRIMM. I didnt even think about reusing them. Also I will make sure they freeze through nice and solid.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
After dumping the contents, I soak them in water, scrub them out and leave them in a bucket of bleach water for a day or two. I've re-used some deli cups and lids dozens of times before they crack and have to be tossed. I've been culturing from the same batch of flies I got five years ago and have never had any trouble. No mold, no mites, only stupid mistakes - like putting the flies in before the media cools. For some reason ffs don't do well in scalding hot media. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
561 Posts
Put them in your neighbor's car.
Must be a love / hate relationship. :D

Me I just fill the jar with water. Any flies left just float to their watery grave.

Then I let the glass jars sit in the sink overnight to soften the casings, scrub them out in the morning, and then pop them into the dishwasher.

·
Registered
164 Posts
My method:
1) Switch vented lid for a regular lid and place a small zoo med undertank heater beneath deli cup. I do this at night and by morning the ff's have been gassed and the media has more or less turned into a dry cake.

2) Tip the cup into a plastic bag and give it a good tap, contents usually come out at once, wrap and trash.

3)Put deli cups in bucket with bleach water, and wash w/soapy water after work. ;)

Hint: do this the night before the trash gets picked up because in the So. Cal heat, trash will smell fierce :p

Oh yea, make sure lid (non vented) is tight fitting b/c quite a bit of gas gets produced. Never had a lid pop off yet, fingers crossed.

Hope this helps, Alex

1 - 20 of 26 Posts