Dendroboard banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well well. Clarence is a beautiful, broad striped, male Santa isabel that sings all day and drives my mom crazy when trying to take a nap! :lol: He's coloring up to a deep maroon color, and with cooler temps, more supplements, and UV light, he should look better. :p Anthony, my other male is also coloring up nicely, and a much darker color. He is starting to call, but is shier than my other male.

However, I've got a good look at Trinity, my female. She is more pale red, not coloring up. But she hides most of the time, in the darkest corners. I really need to move them into a real setup, they've lived in a critter keeper since last August from Sean Stewart. However, she is very, very round.

I will be moving them into my vivarium in the basement where it is much cooler, PC light, fogger, etc. Now. What can I expect as far as breeding goes? Should I just call it off until next year? They are roughly 8-10 months out of the water. I heard tricolors are sexually mature at 6 months, but they may take 2 years to develop color (according to Sean).

Any tips what products are useful? I do have an RO machine...

·
Registered
561 Posts
Mine did not start breeding until they were about a year old, but the male was calling a couple months before that. You just may need a little time.
You should move them into a bigger setup, but I think if they are ready they will breed in the critter keeper too.

My females get disturbed pretty easily. Tonight when I came home I heard the male calling more than he normally does and looked in on them. The male and a female (1:3) were in a film canister but as soon as I put my face in front of the tank she took off. They are back in the canister now so I expect to find eggs in the morning.

I put film canisters with an egg extractor (1/2 a film can inserted into a full one) set up between the leaves of plants and they lay in these. The common advice I recieved was to set up the canisters at a 45 degree angle in the ground of the enclosure, but they never laid in that setup.

Good luck,
Ed

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what about just a bromeliad, or fake one? Basically, put leaves of fake aquarium plants and silicone/ hot glue them to a film canister?

I have heard some nice results from using Medusa Lab's tadpole tea and food. BTW: what is blackwater extract?

G

·
Blackwater extract will tint the water a kind of brownish hue. It is used to reproduce the amazon's water quality with the color tone and softens the water (lower the kH).

·
Registered
561 Posts
They might breed in a bromilad, but I have 3 or 4 in the enclosure, and they have never laid in them. The plastic leaves might work too, I've never tried it. Once I find somethign that works, I stick with it. Before I set up the horizontal film canisters, I had to keep cutting up the alocasia leaves when they were laying on them
My male is guarding the clutch that was laid last night. He is pretty agressive when he is watching the eggs and will move his body between me and the eggs if I am puttering around in the enclosure or feeding them. It is pretty neat to watch. I think I am going to leave these with him.
I only get about a 30% hatch rate with these guys..... not sure why but maybe keeping them in the enclosure will bump up the hatch.
Ed

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Clarence and Anthony sure are getting fiesty! My female, Trinity, best get away while she still can! :lol:

Do you raise the tadpoles communally, or individually? Can I just put dart tadpoles in a fish bowl or aquarium, or is that too deep?

Are there any special fish foods I can take advantage of?

Ed, I don't know what you mean by "leaving them with the male." Do you mean, leaving them until they hatch in the water container? I haven't bred darts or mantellas, but at the looks of things, I might be getting clutches from both pretty soon. :shock:

·
Registered
561 Posts
What I mean is letting him care for the eggs until they hatch and then removing them from the water container after he deposits them. The water area that is in their enclosure is much too small.

I raise the tads communially in rubbermaid containers that have about 4 inches of water in them.

I like sera micron and aquarian (old formula) but there are a couple others out there too.

Ed

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
how often do they produce clutches? I know many say tincs can lay once a week, but I've never heard how often tricolors produce. I know they are more seasonal, from my understanding.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts