Dendroboard banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at that California Academy of Sciences the other day, and was in awe over their amphibian exhibits (not to mention their indoor rainforest, which is on a whole different level).

How do they manage to achieve such a high level of plant density on this particular background? What would you guys recommend for replicating something of this magnitude?

Plant Botany Wood Branch Terrestrial plant

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
Proper plant selection, lighting, and watering goes a long way. Lots of vining plants can easily grow in less than stellar conditions as they typically have developed to excel under these conditions. They may also likely use some supplemental fertilization at the root sources, to avoid mineral spotting.

Terrestrial plants can also be left potted so they are also very easy to change and rotate out as needed so "prime" specimens are often displayed. Few years ago at a local zoo watched them wheel in a wagon and hop over the railing and quickly flip plants out in a few exhibits in the reptile house.

Daily monitoring also helps as issues are addressed more quickly as they are routinely looking at the set up for the health and well being of the inhabitants and during that time is also taking a look at potential issues with the enclosure.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Plant selection is also key. You not only have to consider how the plants look and grow but, how fast they grow. A bunch of slow growing plants, growing in over time is much more sustainable then fast growing plants that one or two will just take over and shade everyone else out.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think background coverage is the number one thing my vivs struggle with though. I'm assuming it's a combination of the misting system not consistently wetting the back walls though, as my nozzles tend to be located near the front 1/3rd of the tanks.

On the subject, do you guys have favorite wall-cover plants?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Marcgravia rectiflora . Takes awhile to get going but looks great when it's filled in. I can share some pictures this afternoon if you want to see a wall that's been growing for about 18 months.
How long would you say it takes to get rectiflora going? I have placed a piece in one of my tanks it has been probably 4-5 months, barely any new growth (maybe 1 or 2 leaves), but it does not look like it is suffering.

Could it be putting out roots this entire time, or is it just struggling and just not dying back?

Ricky

·
Administrator
4,336 Posts
How long would you say it takes to get rectiflora going? I have placed a piece in one of my tanks it has been probably 4-5 months, barely any new growth (maybe 1 or 2 leaves), but it does not look like it is suffering.

Could it be putting out roots this entire time, or is it just struggling and just not dying back?

Ricky
Ive found it slow to start but once it gets going it grows quickly.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Marcgravia rectiflora . I can share some pictures this afternoon if you want to see a wall that's been growing for about 18 months.
Likes have been given, darts a-hopping, melanogasters ran for their lives, time has passed....yet we still await the infamous Marcgravia Wall.

FG..help us out man -- the anticipation is painful! ;)

·
Registered
43 Posts
That's some awesome growth for a relatively short period FG, beautiful!

I don't mean to thread hijack, but out of curiosity, in the bottom photo, the plant to the right of the pink fittonia in the bottom left corner, is that pilea moon valley?

·
Registered
291 Posts
I was at that California Academy of Sciences the other day, and was in awe over their amphibian exhibits (not to mention their indoor rainforest, which is on a whole different level).

How do they manage to achieve such a high level of plant density on this particular background? What would you guys recommend for replicating something of this magnitude?

View attachment 308732
Not much to add, but that is a fantastic aquarium. They have some really cool stuff there (though their dendrobatid enclosures leave things to be desired.)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts