Dendroboard banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, At some point I plan on getting 3 or 4 D. Leucomelas. Before I do I want to make sure I have good food for them. So A couple questions:

1) Which kind of fruit fly would be the best for this species of frog?
2) How soon, before purchasing the frogs, should I begin trying to get cultures going? A month ahead of time? A couple weeks?
3) How many cultures should I start with?

This will be my first foray into working with fruit flies. My previous herps just ate various sized crickets (which are readily available for purchase year round in my area). So I appreciate any advice you veterans can provide. Thanks.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Depending on the size they are when you get them will determine whether hydei or meloganasters are better. To get the culturing process down I started producing fruit flies 2 months before I got my first frogs. With hydei the cycle time is 3 to 4 weeks before the culture really starts to take off. Meloganasters on the other hand are smaller and take 2 to 3 weeks to start producing a good amout of flies. For 4 frogs I would make 2 cultures every week just in case one doesnt take or produce well and have about 6 going all together. Its much better to overproduce than to have hungry frogs or froglets. Another alternative source for froglets are springtails which even full grown azureus love to go after.

rob

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would say melognaster. Especially if you've not cultured flys before you will find it easier. They produce much faster than the hydei and you will have much more fly 'mass' per culture than with hydei. I havn't noticed my leucs prefering one fly over the other.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts