Dendroboard banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got my supplies to make a foam and silicone background but I'm now wondering about the practicalities of actually doing it. Doing it outdoors I don't think will work, with the temps outside being in the 40s, and the spray foam say 60-90. So indoors, but again the directions say 'well vented', but I'd prefer not to leave the windows open because again, cold.

It's going to be slightly warmer tomorrow (50s); would it be worth it to do the spraying outside and then bring it in within a couple hours so it's not in the cold temps for too long or will that screw up the foam because it's below 60s? I could do it in the basement where there isn't too much foot traffic, would that be safe enough? Am I overthinking things?

Also when you let it cure, doors open or closed?

Thanks

·
Registered
144 Posts
I've got my supplies to make a foam and silicone background but I'm now wondering about the practicalities of actually doing it. Doing it outdoors I don't think will work, with the temps outside being in the 40s, and the spray foam say 60-90. So indoors, but again the directions say 'well vented', but I'd prefer not to leave the windows open because again, cold.

It's going to be slightly warmer tomorrow (50s); would it be worth it to do the spraying outside and then bring it in within a couple hours so it's not in the cold temps for too long or will that screw up the foam because it's below 60s? I could do it in the basement where there isn't too much foot traffic, would that be safe enough? Am I overthinking things?

Also when you let it cure, doors open or closed?

Thanks
I would do it outside then bring it into the house, the fumes aren't so bad leaving it in garage or a empty basement would be fine. that's what I do. Great stuff and silicone aren't exactly paint thinners. My advise wear gloves and what ever you do DONT GET IT IN YOU"RE EYES. In fact wear goggles or glasses. My uncle got greatstuff in his eye and it did permanent damage.
Cold temps do not have much effect on greatstuff I've used it in the dead of winter with snow on the ground and during the dog days of summer. It will effect how long it takes too fully cure though.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would do it outside then bring it into the house, the fumes aren't so bad leaving it in garage or a empty basement would be fine. that's what I do. Great stuff and silicone aren't exactly paint thinners. My advise wear gloves and what ever you do DONT GET IT IN YOU"RE EYES. In fact wear goggles or glasses. My uncle got greatstuff in his eye and it did permanent damage.
Cold temps do not have much effect on greatstuff I've used it in the dead of winter with snow on the ground and during the dog days of summer. It will effect how long it takes too fully cure though.

Thanks! Already have gloves and thinking of pulling out an old pair of glasses vs my current ones.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I think the silicone curing would be the most dangerous. I would most certainly do it in a well ventilated area if you are using a substantial amount of it. It's less for your eyes and more for your lungs.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Cold temperatures can effect the curing process of great stuff, causing it to shrink more than when applied within the temperature ranges indicated on the packaging. It can also impact how well it dispenses out of the product. I would not suggest applying it for the purposes of vivarium use (where you most certainly don't want it to shrink) in cold weather.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts