Dendroboard banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a pump that can generate a small waterfall at a height of 6'. I was told by the HD folks that this 210GPH pump could do it...now that I have educated myself some more I should have known better (when the max height is 7'....it barely dribbles).

Long story short, I need a powerful enough pump to generate my waterfall; I'm guesstimating at roughly 5-10GPM (30-60GPH) @ 5.5-6' is what I need....this is not too hard to find...

however, none of the pumps I look up have any information on their NOISE! This is going to be running a waterfall 24/7 in the living room so it needs to be sufficiently silent.

Any suggestions?

Also, is there ANY reason to use 450GPH "pond" pump $50:

http://www.amazon.com/Sunterra-200450-Pond-Pump-Black/dp/B000E5Q8MK/ref=sr_1_31?s=garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1325561260&sr=1-31

over a pump that can do 1800GPH for $45 but is not a "pond" pump.

http://www.amazon.com/Superior-Pump-91250-Thermoplastic-Submersible/dp/B000X05G1A/ref=pd_cp_hi_1

I'm still learning here but it seems "pond" pumps are just like "reptile" incandescent bulbs...nothing more than a name and price hike?

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@pumilo: thank you for identifying the differences between those pumps!

@Feist: it is rather difficult to explain but....

yes inline is an option and one I slightly prefer; the enclosure is quite big, but you are correct to identify that my 5GPM flow rate is very high.

I am overestimating by a fair margin on purpose, partly because of my inexperience. I was planning to split the line multiple times and have various pieces of cork tube spilling water out of my wall

so far during some testing with my 260GPH pump, it was originally a bit weak and not really loud but not great either...I reorganized things a little to elevate the pump approx 1.5' and it has made the world of difference.

The sound is still meh, but I am going to try foaming things up in a few minutes to see if that helps...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.