Dendroboard banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I have a "just proven" trio of vents and I'm trying to find out how much water to keep in the film canisters, I have seven cans (2 white and 5 black) had them 1/3 filled with water in a 45 degree angle. they had their first clutch of seven eggs in a white canister at the bottom of the can fully submerged, pulled them and placed in a petri dish,....7 days later nothing, no development, nothing. during the waiting another clutch, same white can, same way fully submerged.....4 days now nothing so far. do some of the cans need to be dry? differant angles? maybe one white can with water and the other white can empty? and the black cans are they useless? I have seen them in there also but mostly in the white ones. I have search online and all I find is care sheets of vents in general but not too much focuse on breeding and egg laying sites. :confused:

·
Banned
579 Posts
I struggled with that too when I got started....but simply thought how much water fit in my broms and simply go from there. If they can grow out of broms, start from there. So its not too much. Maybe a qtr of canister? Or just get a brom and fill up the middle cup of it and see what it took in the film can...haha sorry if its confusing

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I struggled with that too when I got started....but simply thought how much water fit in my broms and simply go from there. If they can grow out of broms, start from there. So its not too much. Maybe a qtr of canister? Or just get a brom and fill up the middle cup of it and see what it took in the film can...haha sorry if its confusing
Thanks Cairo11, but what about white vs black film cans and should some be left dry? and if the eggs are left submerged will they be fertilized already and still develope? or did their first eggs go bad because they are new breeders?
sorry for so many questions but there are no other care sheets that address this topic. :)

·
Banned
579 Posts
I notice all of my obligates mainly hangout in the clear white film cans. I leave some tilted with a little bit of wate( inch) then I leave dry ones straight horizontal and will get Moist when a spray tank down, and eventually sufficient water stays in em to keep eggs from drying. So far far so good. I also like to throw some can on the floor within the leaf litter, as they will make good use of them. Ive left some straight vertical, but then have found froglets which went back in, drowned in them since they had no way out. So that is why its good to leave a good tilt. Ask away if you got more qs

·
Registered
6,110 Posts
Vents prefer to lay underwater. I would provide them with both black and white film cans, both positioned vertically and at slight angles, and see what they prefer. The groups I work with each seem to have their individual preferences. Make sure to change out the water frequently - vents really seem to be picky about the cleanliness of their water!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Vents prefer to lay underwater. I would provide them with both black and white film cans, both positioned vertically and at slight angles, and see what they prefer. The groups I work with each seem to have their individual preferences. Make sure to change out the water frequently - vents really seem to be picky about the cleanliness of their water!
Thanks, Then should all the film cans have some water in them? and these first 2 clutches ? do you think maybe went bad because they are inexperianced parents?

Thanks again zBrinks

·
Registered
6,110 Posts
I would put water in all the film cans - I have never had a vent clutch laid out of water (that was good).

It takes frogs a bit at first to figure out what they're doing - just give them time, and I'm sure they'll get the swing of things.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Zach, Big Help much appreciated.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts