Dendroboard banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this is an obvious question! 'My' first Imi tad was deposited into a brom a couple of days ago :)D). The problem is in the last couple of days the level of water the brom can hold seems to have dropped a lot - perhaps it's grown a tiny bit and the 'seal' higher up in the cup has been broken? I'm guessing the tad is now in about 40ml of water (total guess but basically not very much). It seems happy enough at its current size but there doesn't seem to be much room to grow in there. The water is getting a refresh every day with misting.

If possible I'd rather let the parents raise it but will it be ok in these cramped surroundings or am I better off removing it to a more spacious tad pad?

Cheers

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
If it's in a brom now I would probably just leave it. Your daily misting will keep the water level up. Thumbnails don't need much water. Some frogs choose sites with only about a thimble full of water.
Mist it to top it off and to slowly flush some of the old water out so it doesn't get too fouled out. If you don't have a misting system you will need to do this yourself with your spray bottle.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply - a thimble full describes it perfectly. The brom volume is about three times that but it'll only now hold that little bit in the bottom. I am spraying daily and making sure the brom is topped up to the top. It drains down again in a few minutes but at least the water is getting changed. I suppose I'm looking in there and thinking that looks no fun at all but the tadpole knows no different :)

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
According to Brown, Twomey, Morales & Summers 2008 Phytotelm size in relation to parental care and mating strategies in two species of Peruvian poison frogs

In the wild:
R. imitator phytotelemata size was 24mL +/-11mL

R. variabilis phytotelemata size was 112mL +/- 42mL

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's interesting - amazing then how little water they need then.

Things have taken an debaucherous turn this evening - the third unsexed frog in the trio suddenly started answering the proven male's call with a quieter one of its own and while the alpha male was trying to get the female to come and lay some food for the tad, she seemed more interested in going off with the other one for a while. I can only put it down to the sudden warm weather here!

·
Registered
974 Posts
Nice work Delgado!

Just as a heads up incase you decide to pull the tads, Sainsburys do packs of 22 polypropylene cups.

They are 250ml and I have recently upgraded my tads to them from their previous deli cups.

Although the deli cups were a lot closer to the natural volume, I find that the larger cups keep the water quality a lot more stable and fresh!

Soon enough you'll be overun with tads and the less water changes you have to do the better ;)

Good luck with them.

Also Chris, I'd be very interested in reading the article/paper you speak of, any idea where I can find a copy?

Richie

1 - 7 of 7 Posts