Dendroboard banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how much media i should put in the container for the fruit flies?

A quick response would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Dave, I am also curious on this. I have been trying out different ammounts of media for my hydei cultures, but I am not sure if it is even making a difference. I normally use 1/3 cup media to 1/2 cup liquid. So does it really benefit the hydei to use more media for them since they take longer?? Thanks

-Shelley

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
d

:!: :!: Its a secret, isnt it!!! I knew it!! :D :D :D

I use about an inch of media in my mason jar cultures.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Here's my take-- use just enough media to maximize your fly production; using more and you're just throwing $ out when the ff's are done hatching out. Trial and error (for me) has resulted in the following:
32 oz cups
1/3 cup media
slurried up with enough water/vinegar to leave the culture almost soupy

I feel the biggest mistake I've made is adding too little water/vinegar which allows the culture to dry out. I guess the flip side of that is adding too much water...as long as there's no standing water on top of the media, I'm satisfied. I also use excelsior as surface area for the ffs to climb on and wonder if this adds to absorption of fluid.
This combination works best for me--perhaps other media preps would yield different results.
Regards,
Scott

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
I think it is easier to get the flies out using coffee filters. I think the coffee filters also absorb more water than excelsior. Another factor is season changes. My cultures need more water in winter and less in summer due to humidity.

·
Registered
297 Posts
We use

1/2 cup of medium into a 24 oz container with 1/2 cup of tap water. If their are any dry spots you can use a medicine dropper to cover that area with water. The major difference is that we provide no additional paper, or stuffing into the container. Once we know that the culture is viable, we move out the balance of the flies and add crumpled towelpaper for the larva to migrate to.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts