Dendroboard banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting some pumilio soon, and I wanted to know how many tads they will raise to froglets, as I have seen a few pictures with 6+ eggs, and that seemed like a large clutch to me.

G

·
As Rob stated, they will usually lay a few more than they actually raise. You may see a few of the embryo simply not make it to hatching or come out with deformalities. I propose that the larger clutrch sizes is to make up for these 'errors'. I once had a pair of long term captive bri bris that went through 3 clutches before getting it right. The 4th clutch contained 7 eggs but only 4 had survived the internal development and only 3 had made it as neonates. My current almirante pair had laid a clutch of 6 but only 3 made it to the water. All in all, don't expect them all to make it....feeding eggs to a large group is probably very taxing on the females.

-Bill J.

G

·
I have a question. When you see offspring how do you get them out of the tank? It's hard enough trying to catch a frog that small, let alone a tiny baby. :D

G

·
Jared,

That is a very good question. I don't know what the rest fo the pumilio breeders do, but I waited until the froglets had left the broms completely and started hunting on their own. This took place about 3 days after they first emerged. I located the individual froglets and ushered them into film canisters and transported them to smaller acrylic 'critter keepers' which had been pre-made with a colony of springtails well established.

-Bill J.

G

·
Jared..

Jared J said:
I have a question. When you see offspring how do you get them out of the tank? It's hard enough trying to catch a frog that small, let alone a tiny baby. :D
I have been leaving mine in the tank with the parents. Just throwing in extra food....It seems to be working so far. It takes the babies a while to get comfortable enough to leave the broms and wander in the tank (a week or two). As they continue to get bigger I will consider moving them out of the tank, but so far so good

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I don't use many bromeliads and most of my pumilio raise their young in 1oz. condiment cups. I use a cup inside a cup and when I see the front legs come out I just remove the inside cup and place it in the container where the young froglet will be raised. No chasing froglets around disturbing the adults. Just what works for me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts