Dendroboard banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
I'm having a seventy five gallon display tank built for some bastimentos pumilio. I ordered 2 frogs. However, I've heard varying opinions on how many can be kept in a tank this size, with plenty of broms and hiding places, a fogger, waterfall, etc. I'm perfectly fine with just 2 basti's, but is it possible to increase that number without having a detrimental affect on the pumilio? Thanks for all of your help in advance.

Jordan

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Stick with just a pair. I started out with 6 blue jeans in a custom viv a little over 100 gal. capacity. The group quickly became what I thought was 1.3 and they produced a couple of frogs although I know for certain there was some egg eating going on. Then one of the "females" started calling and soon after the original male stopped. For several months this new male called constantly but there were no froglets. I suspect the deposed male was consistently destroying eggs. The new male died of an accident and the original male started calling again so the group was 1.2. Soon after they started producing froglets again and did so for several years to the present. Sometime in November I stopped seeing one of the females and suspect she may have died. In the last few months, the appearance of froglets has become more frequent. Bottom line, even in a viv this size, breeding is probably best if they are kept in pairs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts