Dendroboard banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Assuming its a horizontal, you may be able to keep two males and a female. Just keep an eye on the males and make sure they aren't getting stressed out.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know each and every individual is different, but over all, how big is aggression between leucs? And is it more male on male agression or female on female? Btw the tank is roughly 30"x12"x19" (would it be considered more vertical?)

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
If it is 30" inches long, like the 29 gallon I have, then it's fine for leucs as it has good horizontal space. You will be fine with three, to be honest you can probably even get four adults without serious problems. The aggression can be male/male or female/female, but female/female aggression is a bit more common and slightly more problematic in my experience. I've never had any real problems as far as the health of the frogs; it may be a bit stressful but they should be fine as long as you provide some cover if one of them just needs to get away and hide for a bit. Females can eat each other's eggs, but there are a few things you can do to deter this. Overall, they are a nice community frog with a nice call, so I think they will be a great choice.
Bryan

·
Banned
685 Posts
If the tank is completely empty, I would think around 743 full grown Luecs would just about fill it up to the rim.

That is about the best answer to the question.

Just because 3 frogs would have 10 gallons each, that does not make the answer correct.

How is the tank planted?
What sight barriers are there?
How many territory areas are in the tank?
Are there areas to hide as well as open areas to search for food?

These questions all determine the number of frogs that can cohabitate the enclosure.

If 3 males all have there own preferred territory, and aren't stressed from competition, the answer could be 4. May only be 2.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was planning on leaving it horizontal, just didn't know if that size tank was considered a 29 gal tall.
Females can eat each other's eggs, but there are a few things you can do to deter this. Bryan
I haven't research this yet but would like to hear more. I assume you can't wave your finger infront of it's face and say "bad frog" :p

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How is the tank planted?
What sight barriers are there?
How many territory areas are in the tank?
Are there areas to hide as well as open areas to search for food?

These questions all determine the number of frogs that can cohabitate the enclosure.

If 3 males all have there own preferred territory, and aren't stressed from competition, the answer could be 4. May only be 2.
I don't have the tank set up yet. I was just wondering what other people's experiences were. I think I might just get a pair and let them live in the tank. What is considered a "territory area"? a place where a male calls or a frog fends off other frogs?

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I haven't research this yet but would like to hear more. I assume you can't wave your finger infront of it's face and say "bad frog"
You can try, but I'm not sure how effective it will be ;) Anyway, it depends on how inclined the particular frog is to eat eggs, but you do have some control. The easiest way, and really only foolproof way of preventing egg eating after they are laid, is to pull clutches immediately after they are laid and fertilized and rear them artificially. Even some females eat their own eggs, which I've heard can be diet related, so making sure they get sufficient supplements may help. I've never had an issue with it, but if I remember correctly, some people suggest providing multiple laying areas (coco-huts, film canisters, broad leaves, etc.) for multiple females, and I guess the idea is that if each female has a preferred laying site in her own territory, she might not be as inclined to go after another female's eggs. Again, I'm not sure how well it works but it is worth a shot. I just put my leucs together this season (a 2.2) so there was some minor egg eating at first, but I haven't had any issues just pulling the eggs the same day as they are laid and growing them artificially.
Good luck,
Bryan

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I don't have the tank set up yet. I was just wondering what other people's experiences were. I think I might just get a pair and let them live in the tank. What is considered a "territory area"? a place where a male calls or a frog fends off other frogs?
With leucs, in my experience, they are a relatively peaceful community frog, so territoriality is not as big an issue as some other frogs. Territories could mean a few things, including calling spots like you said, but again I find my leucs don't have set territories- they call all over, forage for food all over, hide/ are active all over without any set territory lines. I think if you just give them sufficient areas for each to have its own niche, so good hiding spots, foraging areas, calling/laying sites, etc. for each frog, you should definitely be fine.
If it helps to give you any ideas, I kept pairs and trios in 20's before, and now keep a group of 4 in a tank that is around 23 gallons. I have had better results with groups with multiple males (2.1, 2.2) than just pairs or female-heavy groups because I think the males create a friendly competition through calling that encourages breeding.
Bryan

Reactions: Dusted Fly

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Any chance you could post a pic/link to this tank.
Sure, it is a 40 gallon long split, with the leucs having a slightly bigger side than the other part since there would be four leucs and less frogs on the other side. I'm sorry these pictures are so poor, they don't show the depth well at all because I don't have a good enough flash or something I guess, and the glass is foggy.

Bryan

Reactions: randommind

·
Registered
446 Posts
I keep 5 very happily in a 55g.. Its my display tank. Great frogs. Mine are not adults yet though so time will tell if I can keep it that way.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts