Dendroboard banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 4 tinc froglets. I originally started out with two FF cultures and have since made 4 more from the original 2. Is this enough? I feed them twice daily. I was thinking of making two more cultures, but do i need to at this point? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
850 Posts
More is always better. You will find this happening a lot but some random cultures will just do crap for you. So you have to be prepared for these and it can be difficult if you only have a few cultures going. I would say for four tinc froglets you wouldn't need more than 3-4 cultures PRODUCING. You will need to plan when cultures will be producing. If you make all your cultures at the same time, you will be overloaded with flies then have none. I would just slowly make more cultures until you've reached the point where the frogs aren't eating as much as your producing. This can be a lot with tincs. But if you have 3-4 cultures producing flies, no more than 8 or 9 total, you should have plenty for them.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Good point Kevin.

Kevin makes a good point. Make fruit fly cultures, like one or two every couple of days so that you will constantly have a continuous supply of flies. I use a ratio of one 32 oz fruit fly culture for every four frogs. Froglets need tons of food, so I think your feeding schedule is right on. If you can spare the flies, place a culture on it's side with out the lid inside the froglet enclosure. That way they will have a constant supply of flies. I place a wad of excelsior in the container so that the frogs can get the flies but don't get mucky as the fruit fly media will get very wet.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have started making two a week now, and will be moving to four a week once my hydei start going, and my process has been refined a bit. Instead of using 1/3 of a cup of media i use about half a cup since it is so dry here. Things seem to be going swimmingly. Thats a good idea about putting the cultures in the tank, but i would like to do it with smaller containers than the 24 oz i use now, any idea where to get those?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Although I am very anti-vial, your point is probably the only way I would ever use them and I don't. I still put in 32 oz cultures in my 10 gallons. It looks like someone littered in the rainforest, but at least my frogs will get fed for a while. It is a great trick if you are going away on vacation. I took 10 days off for Christmas and placed a frist hatch culture in each tank. By the time I got home all I could think about was feeding my frogs. Much to my surpise there wasn't a thin frog to be had. :) Also, remember that hydei have a 30 day cycle vs. melanogasters 10. Your tincs will appreciate the larger flies.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts