Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
I use to make around 10 a week but I lowered my collection and now make 3 a week. The thing with fruit fly cultures is 3 doesn't take much less time than 10. Once you get in the rhythm you can make a ton in minutes. I lowered my collection to be able to manage my tanks and frogs better. Fruit flies didn't have much to do with it.
Logan

·
Registered
128 Posts
I use Julio's recipe

6 cups of potato flakes
2 cups of brewers yeast
1 cup of powder sugar
2 table spoons of cinamon

1 tea spoon of methyl paraben, only used with hydei cultures.

I half it and put it in a zip lock bag. This is a great recipe I have tons of larvae and flies.

I make about two a week but I only have 3 P. vari's atm so when I get the rest of my frogs I will probably increase to 4 a week.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I have 25 frogs (12 are Froglets), and I make one melo culture a week and one hydei culture a week.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I have 25 frogs (12 are Froglets), and I make one melo culture a week and one hydei culture a week.
I make about two a week but I only have 3 P. vari's atm so when I get the rest of my frogs I will probably increase to 4 a week.

Yikes! One of you makes 2 cultures a week to feed 25 frogs and one of you makes 2 cultures a week to feed 3. :eek:

·
Registered
204 Posts
27 to 44 cultures every 11 days. (Depending on how many froglets I have growing out to make pairs). I use Josh's ff mix.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I have... 20 or 30 frogs depending on how many froglets I have ATM, and I make 3-4 cultures a week using Jeremys (this guy ^) media. I make probably on average 3 melanos and 1 hydei because most of my frogs are smaller species.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Seven frogs; I have two cultures going since the Tincs are little piggies and the Leuc's are younger and I like to feed them more often.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I got a culture from Ed's Fly Meat and 4 cups w/lids and 2lbs of fly "media" that you mix 1/3 cup of fly mix with 1/2 cup of water and a pinch of brewers yeast and 50 hydei flies or melano and "excelsior" media and they last about a month and are PACKED with flies...I do 2 cultures every 2 weeks and I have 2 adults 2 sub adults and 7 juveniles

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yikes! One of you makes 2 cultures a week to feed 25 frogs and one of you makes 2 cultures a week to feed 3. :eek:
Well I have been expecting some frogs for a few weeks so just wanting enough FF's for when they arrive I will be feeding 16 frogs when the weather is good enough for them to be shipped. Plus I love making cultures :)

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have 12 frogs 5 of which are thumbs and I make two cultures a week. I end up tossing out flies but that's better than not having enough.
Doug

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I have 16 frogs and 13 froglets all thumbs. I used to use Josh's and now have switched to Repashy Superfly. I make 2-3 cultures every Sunday. I feed the froglets out of the old cultures cause of the reduced size of the flies.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Well I have been expecting some frogs for a few weeks so just wanting enough FF's for when they arrive I will be feeding 16 frogs when the weather is good enough for them to be shipped. Plus I love making cultures :)
I was just making note of the wide disparity, didn't mean to poke fun or suggest anybody was making to many or too few. If it works for you that's what counts!

Now if you like making cultures so much you are welcome to come on over and make all the cultures you want. I'll even let you keep a couple every week just for your trouble ;)

Oh, and we make 48 cultures a week to feed our 300+ adults. Plus another 2 or 3 dozen for the babies.

·
Registered
393 Posts
35 frogs, and historically have been making 6 cultures every other week. I hated having to go out to the store and get extra flies, so I've ramped it up to 9 fruit fly cultures, 1 bean beetle and 2 springtail cultures every week. I've got plenty of food now.

I use water, white vinegar, molasses, grape juice, malt-o-meal, potato flakes, cinnamon, and yeast for my ff cultures. They smell amazing until the day I throw them out :)

·
Registered
471 Posts
35 frogs, and historically have been making 6 cultures every other week. I hated having to go out to the store and get extra flies, so I've ramped it up to 9 fruit fly cultures, 1 bean beetle and 2 springtail cultures every week. I've got plenty of food now.

I use water, white vinegar, molasses, grape juice, malt-o-meal, potato flakes, cinnamon, and yeast for my ff cultures. They smell amazing until the day I throw them out :)
Whats your recipe?

·
Registered
151 Posts
I was just making note of the wide disparity, didn't mean to poke fun or suggest anybody was making to many or too few. If it works for you that's what counts!

Now if you like making cultures so much you are welcome to come on over and make all the cultures you want. I'll even let you keep a couple every week just for your trouble ;)

Oh, and we make 48 cultures a week to feed our 300+ adults. Plus another 2 or 3 dozen for the babies.
Let me know when you need help? I'm free to help make some fly cultures. :D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.