Dendroboard banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many frogs can i house conformable in a 55 gal tank i am convert to a terrarium. Just wondering because at my house we love frogs i have lots of pacman frogs but wanting to adventure out to the dart frog world. We love the bumble bee dart and the turquoise and bronze and one my son loves he calls the spiderman frog which is red with blue back legs. I know you cant house them all together due to aggressive behavior as adults.

·
Super Moderator
2,637 Posts
It's going to depend on the species of dart frog.

Some tolerate groups well, others do not.

Generally speaking I keep my large bodied terrestrial frogs in 67 gallon tanks (36x18x24") , typically only keeping 3 frogs in a tank (for species where a trio works).

·
Registered
59 Posts
I would suggest a group of the bumble bee dart frogs (D. leucomelas). They do well in groups, they're a bit smaller than the turquoise and bronze (D. auratus) and a 55 would be a nice size for a small group. I wouldn't do more than 4-5 frogs though. The Spiderman frogs (O. pumilio "blue jeans") are pretty territorial and I personally wouldn't keep more than 1.2 (1 male, 2 females) together.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Just keep in mind that if it is a standard 55 gallon aquarium it is not very wide front to back, 13" so hardscape can easily take a good chunk of that space.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts