Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Guys...Been a loong time but i'm doing a crazy leap and changing my 125G Fish aquarium into a Viv. Tank is drilled and has a sump so i will be making the overflows run from below and Keeping a good water flow for using approx 1/4 of the floor space for a small pond like feature where i can keep some small tropicals and Use my incoming water from the top into waterfalls...Will be ambitious i think.

Big question...With a 4ft L x 2ft w x 2ft high tank how many Poison dart Frogs could fit in a tank this size?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
You can easily hold a hundred frogs in that, I say go with green tree frogs, firebelly toads and house geckos.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LoL i guess i should have been specific(My bad lol) I am only wanting to do PDF's I like Thumbnails and Some of the bit biggers but Nothing out of that range(All i wanna go with is the little guys :) )

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Ya its been a long time since i've owned them and i did always just have 1 kind...Just was wondering if it was because of a space thing(I've been away for a few years :( ) So change to How many PDF will fit comfortably??

·
Registered
802 Posts
Now I'm kinda curious, are there any pdfs that you can safely house in 5+ individual groups? Do the "group" frogs self limit how big of a group they'll do well in (provided space is not the limiting factor)? I can't remember actually seeing many cases of groups of any adult pdf larger than about 5.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Haha I hear ya. So keeping to 1 species what would be a approx number? 10? 5? 20?
either A. you're a troll (and lately, sadly, it seems there's quite a few in here) or more likely B. you are asking an amazingly over simplified question with little to no knowledge or research - go research

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hey, this seems to be a touchy subject. I am new to the forum and to dart frogs, so I did not know that is was such a debatable object. I will send you pm. Johnny

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
well you need to do some research and reading first.

#1 we Do Not mix dart frogs.. period
Is there a reason you are choosing to make an absolute statement for the almost 11,000 members on this board? Myself and quite a number of other members of this forum do mix(although species that can't hybridize) with no issues at all. It just takes a little common sense and preplanning,

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
Now I'm kinda curious, are there any pdfs that you can safely house in 5+ individual groups? Do the "group" frogs self limit how big of a group they'll do well in (provided space is not the limiting factor)? I can't remember actually seeing many cases of groups of any adult pdf larger than about 5.
The limits on the population depend on the resource availability to the frogs in the group. This is why you see reports of locations where the frogs are very dense and other reports where they are much more spread out. It all depends on how the needs of the frogs are spread out. Historically in the hobby, a number of species now recommended to be kept in pairs were kept in groups. Pairs are easier for people to deal with as this reduces the need to understand how to set up an enclosure to meet the needs of a group of animals and how the animals behave in groups.

Now I should also point out that housing animals that are not sympatriic is a risk for novel pathogens (even though people do it) and we have seen problems from this sort of action in several taxa including the mycoplasma infections in native tortoises and box turtles and iridovirus infections in several that are doing damage to populations of the reapective animals across the country. Discarding water or waste materials from enclosures housing animals from disparate regions runs the risk of introducing novel pathogens into the wild.

Ed

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
1st off I have to say, ED is so educated. Some days I dont even think he's a HUMAN, I think he might be some type program developed to answer questions on the board. LOL.

TWO, if you are looning to keep multi-spieces, you should just split the tank in 2 or 3 sections its big enough. Just take it to a glass shop and have them cut and insert to your liking.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
LoL well I had 3 Ranitomeya ventrimaculata before. Had them for a pretty long time but Its been a while since i've done anything to do with Frogs so Yes i have forgotten 99% of info i had. So it was a Question to get the personal Mass answers....And thanks to those who have! Will start next on more info gathering on what i need(Doing courses for work) that are eating up time 24/7 so i've just had time to browse a bit and Post!

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
let me start by saying like many others i feel this topic is annoying at best (since anyone whose been a relatively frequent presence on this board can tell you, its discussed too often and most of the knowledgeable members are tired of the same arguments over and over) but you seem to be keeping level headed so i'll respond with as calm and sensible an answer as i can muster.

youve obviously gotten the verdict on mixing different species or locales (different genetic attributes among separate populations). its just not a good idea. its really a matter of either providing the animal with the care it requires (like for instance as Ed mentioned, giving the frog a reasonable chance, at least, to be free from a potentially harmful pathogen, or by ensuring the proper spatial requirements are met, or by offering the frog the ability to feed without competition, etc.) OR providing yourself with the "enjoyment" of keeping differently colored animals together (generally at the expense of proper care or with great risk to the lines of animals that are enjoyed by most as being as close to wild populations as possible)

something to mention: your tank is a 120 not 125 with those dimensions

as far as how many you can put together;
it depends on what frog you decide to get.

as Ed noted, pairs of frogs generally do best,and require the least degree of difficulty, but there are frogs which could handle densities of 20 in a tank your size (if properly designed) some mantellas for instance are said to thrive in dense captive populations and there are numerous reports that this density plays an important role in breeding for some groups.
other "group" frogs could IMO be maintained in groups of 5-10 in a tank that size (again designed properly) phyllobates are ones which can be housed in groups, leucs are another option.

most dart frogs can be housed in pairs or trios, but some are better than others as far as being well suited for novice keepers. check out the care sheets section of the forum for some more info on what are good options for you.

like i tell most beginners with "big" tanks(and no offense but even if you've had experience before, with the questions being asked i feel its fair to assume you'd be more comfortable starting back with the basics and working towards gaining good experience) you might want to consider starting with a few smaller builds. buy some smaller cheap tanks and experiment for a few months before trying to tackle a tank like the 120. you'll save yourself from making more mistakes on the bigger tank and gain some experience with construction methods.

james

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ya I can tell by some of the Responses that i had to breath first(normally i do not post I just read alot and maybe comment or ask some out of the norm questions) This I can see is a 1-touchy subject. 2- Asked to many times question. In hind side can see yes stupid question! However Ya I could pass the A****** Term to a few ways things were said by a few!! But I'm ok Live let live I learned non the less. And I will not be mixing anything. I will be starting the 120 but will for sure be working on my 18x18x24 exo or 24x24x24 while i set the larger tank up(Being setup and actually using it for frogs will be a long time) I'd like to get it running and plant life going the way i want before anything would be going in. The Exo will be what i will probably start the frogs with just on the factor of keeping and feeding and learning.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
I say give the new people a break if they ask about the "Mixing" question. Everyone here was as a newb at some point...

Also, nobody is forcing you to read it or post, so move on if you don't want to read about it again. Let someone else look after it. What's the big deal? It's a pretty simple question and when I started I didn't even know how to use the search function...

·
Registered
841 Posts
i love reading these threads. im new to frogs but been reefing for a long time. i use these threads to help me decide if the frog community is more or less tolerant than the reefing one. im still up in the air on this. both groups seem to have a majority of helpful concerned folk with about 10 percent on either end of the curve that are extremely helpful and extremely intolerant. kind of what i expect to see honestly, the bell curve seems to hold true in most situations.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts