Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 20"x10" cylinder proto tank was keeping in too much heat at the office. I had hoped my homemade tri-circular LED lighting would keep it cooler, but it still needed some good venting regardless.

Today I took a drill to the acrylic top and added a 1" hole, then tossed a grommet on along with some mosquito netting. I was pretty surprised the 1 " hole worked and the netting tightened the hole so I didn't need to add any glue. I'm hoping one hole is enough to cool down the tank, yet still keep the moisture in. Or should I drill two more?

Any advice would be appreciated. So far I'm really digging the LED lighting since it keeps the top looking thin.

·
Registered
52 Posts
That is so cool. I like the led work. Back to your question, just watch the temps and humidity. Maby a small fan could be mounted on the inside for air movement. If the temps keep climbing then put in another vent.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mike. I decided to just go with another hole. And while I was at it, add a rocker switch. I figured the extra hole was a better idea since I plan to add some blue waterproof LEDs for some internal night lighting. I also took your advice and decided to add a fan.

I went with a funny looking fan that looks like a sun. Looking back I don't think it was a good choice. But it will arrive in a couple weeks and was only $3

I thought the thin vents might keep the frogs out of harms way. We'll see.

Hey, I just noticed the lights on the top look like a biohazard symbol. Makes me think this is a biohazard canister for poison dart frogs. :D

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looking at the pic, I imagined it would be mounted in that same direction. So the side facing up would be against the top . The fan simple rotates the air through the vented sides. I was hoping the areas on the side are small enough not to let a frog stick his head in, But warping it in mosquito netting is also an option. I'll let you know when it shows up in the mail.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
With two holes the temps are good. The humidity stays, but I do spray it down once a day. My concern is leaving at work over the weekend. I have yet to try that out.

Fishing string sounds like it would take a while. Clear netting might be faster. It probably will be a while either way for this stuff to show up.

I'm actually more excited about the night lighting:

Under $3, 12v, waterproof, and the width of a 10 gallon tank. I think at the price it seems like a great internal night lighting option.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Don't remember which of the experienced froggers told me this, but I remember being told that frogs can see blue light and it should not be used for night lighting. Somebody please correct me here if I am mistaken.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As far as I know, frogs can see the standard visible spectrum of light. That doesn't mean you can't use blue light. It just means you don't want it too bright. Generally most animals sleep with moonlight.

Mike, how did you simulate moon phases? Did it get darker and lighter over the course of the month?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yes it did. I tried to keep up with a searies of switches, each one turned on a spacific amount of led's mounted in the hood. I was no match for mother nature and gave up after 4 months of trying. From what i have read in the reef forums, there is a light controler out there with moon phases built into it.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the tip. These blow very little air, so I'm wondering now if they are even worth having. I'm contemplating unscrewing them from the metal.

Oddly the night lighting seems really really bright.

For daylight I'm using 3 AE110-x36 version of the circular lights below. That's 108 LEDs rated 2500cmd each.

The WFLB-B24 has 24 LEDs total at a rating of only 1200cmd. But those 24 LEDs seem to give off way more light. Maybe it's just my imagination because they're blue.

I'll take some pictures. I could just be imagining it. Also the light from the WFLB is not nearly as directed as SMD LEDs.

Justin

·
Registered
52 Posts
Wow that is realy bright, is there a way you could limit it down to say 3 led's. I sanded the lenses on the led's that were over my reef tank, that gave off a very nice hue of light not a sharp beam. I used 300 grit sandpaper to dull the lens of the led.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts