Dendroboard banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I moved my 2 dwarf guiana tincs to their new 29 gallon viv early last week. One has yet to come off a tall piece of wood or the small area of background it butts up against. The other hung out on the wood with its buddy until a couple days ago, but since then I've only seen it hiding in the leaf litter. I've seen them both eat (the viv is INFESTED with springtails) and they both seem to have maintained a good weight, but they usually stay hidden in their chosen spots. How long does it typically take for them to calm down and settle in? They used to be pretty active and would sleep in a brom or under a cocohut together.

As a "thanks" for looking at this post and considering my question here are a couple phone-pics of one of the frogs eating itself.

Yea, I know it's not really eating itself and is just nibbling on some shed skin but this was the first time I'd seen this behavior and thought it was cool enough to share.

Oh, and before anyone asks, that's a hygrometer showing "85", not a thermometer. The temp stays around the lower to mid 70s. I had just given the tank its morning misting before I noticed the self-snacking and took this shot.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
My Bakhuis were moved about 3 months ago. They stay in the coco hut most of the time and come out to grab food when the nighttime lighting kicks in. As for my other Tinc morphs, when they were moved they adjusted as soon as they realized where the food chute is. Now they only hang out there.
Try adding black paper to the sides. It might help if they had less to look at.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Also, make sure you have enough leaf liter for them to hind in. They will get used to where they are. Mine frogs are the complete opposite. When I move them, they have to explore the whole entire terrarium and stay out alot. Then they started to hid after a couple days but it usually does not take them long to get used to where they are.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for your responses. I've been looking for some black contact paper but can't seem to find it anywhere. I'm thinking of just cutting out some cardboard, painting it black, and taping it to the sides of the tank.

where the food chute is. Now they only hang out there.
Try adding black paper to the sides. It might help if they had less to look at.
What's a food chute?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Try Target or Walmart in the home cleaning sort of stuff. I've always used it to line cabinets and draweres at rentals and that's usually where I find it.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Ha. The food chute is just were I drop the flies every time. U can use newspaper to cover the walls.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts