Dendroboard banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My juvenille mantella viridis (2-3 months old) arrived two days ago and I wanted to know how long I should leave the frogs be and just examine their behavior before I make changes?

Day one (Arrival day): Stayed hidden away for around an hour before they cautiously explored their tank. They became bolder around the evening when my lights start to dim out. I decided to feed them some dusted FFs and they actively hunted the flies before spitting them out.

Day two: Throughout the night, one of the mantellas stayed on the leaf litter hidden away while the other sat on a cork bark that is hidden away in the corner. During the day, they seemed to have stayed in their night positions for most of the day. I wasn't home from 7 a.m. until 2 p.m. so I can't describe their behavior during this period, but from 2 p.m. until 6 p.m. they stayed in that exact same spot the entire time with very little movement. 6 p.m. is when things start to dim out and that's when one of the frogs decided to come out of hiding. I provided some dusted FFs again and this time they ate it without rejecting it.

I'm glad the frogs aren't rejecting the FFs anymore, however, I'm concerned about their lack of activity from 2 p.m. until 6 p.m.. If that reflects their behavior from 7 a.m. until 2 p.m. I'm worried that something isn't satisfactory.

Mantellas are usually active during the day (people do say they are more active during the morning and evening when the light tends to be a bit less intense). How long should I let the frogs adjust for before I possibly make changes to their tank?

Humidity: 75% to 85%
Temperature: 74 degrees Fahrenheit during the day and 69 degrees Fahrenheit at night.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What changes do you NEED to make and why? Sounds up me like you are REALLY overreacting to two days' worth of experience / observation
Yea you are probably right. I'm just an anxious new frog dad.

My main concern is that maybe the frogs don't have enough hideaway spots during the peak hours and it makes them too scared to venture out. I say that because they venture out during the early mornings and evenings when my lights are dimmed out.

But, they also did explore the tank day 1 even with bright lights so. Guess they're adjusting still.

I'll keep observing!

·
Registered
Mantella baroni, Dendrobates auratus, Dendrobates azureus, Afrixalus dorsalis, Theloderma corticale
297 Posts
Yea you are probably right. I'm just an anxious new frog dad.

My main concern is that maybe the frogs don't have enough hideaway spots during the peak hours and it makes them too scared to venture out. I say that because they venture out during the early mornings and evenings when my lights are dimmed out.

But, they also did explore the tank day 1 even with bright lights so. Guess they're adjusting still.

I'll keep observing!
It would really help to have some photographs of the tank to asses if there are enough hiding spots etc.

In general, Mantella frogs tend to be more shy when kept in small numbers and become bolder in bigger groups (though I'm not saying that you should be buying more). Give them time, they need to adjust to the new environment.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts