Dendroboard banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finished applying silicone on Dec 23rd and had the tank opened up completely and have been misting it.

Its been over 3 weeks, but can still faintly smell the silicone when I seal it off.

Does it usually take this long? I had been seeing most people wait about 2 weeks.

Should I put a sacrificial plant in there overnight to see if I could plant the tank?

Ricky

·
Super Moderator
3,553 Posts
I have a very sensitive nose for vinegar / silicone smell so I usually get my wife to do the "smell test" to see if the silicone has cured.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I assume you are talking about applying a lot of silicone to a background or something. The smell will linger for awhile when you use a lot of material like that.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
It can take a month or more to get the smell out. The best thing you can do is plant the tank and mist it often. The water will help cure the remaining silicone and maybe the plants do something for filtering the air? I'm not sure. All I know is the smell dissipates quickly once planted. My latest tank had smelled for a month. One week since planting and starting a misting cycle and I can't smell anything but forest.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts