Dendroboard banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, I'm super excited, I got my frogs today. A pair of auratus el cope. Put them in the tank and both immediately when to hide, as expected. Few hours later I put some flies in. Frog #1 pops out, munches on flies, discovers the spring tail cave and eats a bunch of them. Pretty active for an hour or so until my cat notices the frog for the first time. Frog hid under some cork and has been there for 6 hours or so. Frog #2 has been hiding in mostly the same spot all day, didn't come out to eat.

Typical behavior for new frogs?

I'm slightly worried it's too cold. The in tank thermometer reads 66-68 and my handheld 66-71 depending on location. Warmer under the lights and higher up, but of course the frogs are in the back, under stuff.

Bonus frog pic because he/she is so cute.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,553 Posts
Typical behavior for new frogs?
Very typical

I'm slightly worried it's too cold. The in tank thermometer reads 66-68 and my handheld 66-71 depending on location. Warmer under the lights and higher up, but of course the frogs are in the back, under stuff.
My frog rooms are about those same temperatures for half the year with no impacts to the frogs.

·
Administrator
5,434 Posts
My frog rooms are about those same temperatures for half the year with no impacts to the frogs.
Yeah, Canadian frogs tolerate those temperatures. ;)

Sounds as if the frogs are still shy and settling in, and probably wondering why that giant human is watching them all the time and snapping all the photos. ;) If you want to see if the temps are related to behavior, after a couple weeks of observation to get a baseline you could turn the house thermostat up for a day or two.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! I saw some other posts with shy frogs becoming more bold when they turned up the temperature. I'll give them some more time before I try it.

Frog was pretty chill with me watching him; only took exception to the cat. To be fair, cat is probably more of a threat

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
it may be months before you see some frogs. All are different and all enclosure designs different. Impossible to predict but seriously, months is about an average.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Sounds as if the frogs are still shy and settling in, and probably wondering why that giant human is watching them all the time and snapping all the photos. ;)
I think this pretty important to point out. I know there is an overwhelming urge to want to observe them to make sure they are eating, exploring, using all of the cool hardscape features you spent a lot of time building for them, etc. But new frogs are dealing with quite a large amount of stress. I've found that new frogs typically do one of two things behaviorally when added to a new enclosure. They freak out and are overly active and scale every inch of the enclosure (often mispercieved as being bold). I believe they are trying to find any means of escape. Or they find the first safe place to hide and stay there until the coast is clear. I like to add a small amount of flies (very small amount) just before I add new frogs and then leave them alone. I'd like to imagine that the presence of a few prey items might build the frog's confidence, but too much can overwhelm them.

I also gradually increase my exposure to the frogs. At first, I'm really only there to feed, or observe the viv from quite a distance across the room. The key for me is to find that threshold of how close I can be and the frog won't immediately want to hide. Some frogs may never improve. My Blue Jeans typographica are WC and dart under the leaf litter as soon as they hear my footsteps. Then 2 minutes after I leave, the male is chattering again.

·
Administrator
5,434 Posts
But new frogs are dealing with quite a large amount of stress. I've found that new frogs typically do one of two things behaviorally when added to a new enclosure. They freak out and are overly active and scale every inch of the enclosure (often mispercieved as being bold)
That's a great interpretation that I hadn't considered. I think there's a lot about our perceptions of herp behavior that we would do well to collectively think about more closely. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
My El Cope are usually much more shy in the winter (Max temps of around 70-71 F min of 64-65 F at night) compared to summer (Max 78-79 F min 70-71 F).

I have found it also help a LOT to just be in the room with them as much as possible. I moved my setup to my main living area where I am most of the time and they became much more emboldened as they got used to me just being there and getting up and walking around frequently. Before, they used hide whenever I went to where the vivarium was.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've found that new frogs typically do one of two things behaviorally when added to a new enclosure. They freak out and are overly active and scale every inch of the enclosure (often mispercieved as being bold). I believe they are trying to find any means of escape. Or they find the first safe place to hide and stay there until the coast is clear
My newly acquired Leuc seems to be both of those two things, for an hour or two in the morning after the lights come on (around the same time as when I feed them) it'd run around the enclosure, climbing everywhere but then it'd just retire to a spot in the tank and barely move around afterwards. I've only had it for about three days so hopefully it'll get used to the tank soon and come out more often.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice to hear other frogs doing the same thing. I did see frog #1 out after I came home from errands but he went back to hiding soon after. Frog #2 has changed hiding spots. They are both together under some cork bark.

The tank is in the living room so pretty high traffic area. Hope they settle in soon

1 - 12 of 12 Posts