Dendroboard banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep my crickets in a tub in which I created Mesh covered holes, for substrate I use a cheap brand of unscented clay cat litter. I have a cricket water reservoir Printed from a design on thingy-verse and sealed with thin superglue. I feed fluckers cricket meal mixed with a little Repashy C+.
Drinkware Wood Ceiling Glass Petal

After experimenting for 2 years this is the best setup I have found. Keep the tub bone dry.
WHY BANDED CRICKETS ARE THE SUPERIOR CRICKET.
Arthropod Insect Line Font Pest

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had tried raising/keeping crickets while I was into praying mantises a while back. They were stinky, loud and took a fair amount of maintenance. I wish I would’ve known that there were different types of crickets.

I’m sure some of the members who use crickets as feeders will find this interesting too.
Don't get me wrong banded crickets are still like crickets... just a little better. The main reason I switched from Brown to Banded is because unlike the brown crickets who even though already surrounded by other crickets still feel the need to chirp. Banded crickets will hardly chirp provided that they are not alone. Only when one escape's into the room do I hear them.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh and I forgot to say this... I can order 250 3/4 banded crickets and the tub only gets gross at around the 4 to 5 week mark. By then I'm ready for the next batch. As far as deaths go this last replacement I only counted 10 legs, so around 5 deaths out of 250 is great.
"I use legs as a measure of deaths because while the crickets will eat the dead they leave the backlegs alone unless they are starveling and have no other food.
Now if I had to say what was more pleasant fruitflies or crickets I would answer 100% flys. The main reason? if some flies escape while feeding they won't make it out of the room and will dry out and die only to be vacuumed up later, crickets on the other hand... go everywhere.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts